- Drones from the deep: Pentagon develops ocean-floor attack robots
- Michigan mayor slaps back atheists’ try to erect ‘reason station’ at city hall
- PHILLIPS: Where is the conservative establishment?
- 7.5-magnitude earthquake shakes southern Mexico
- ISTOOK: IRS “wants to throw us in jail,” says tea party leader
- Easter woes: Chocolate costs soar, becoming ‘unaffordable’ luxury
- Michaels craft chain confirms hackers hit 3M customers
- Special Forces’ suicide rates hit record levels — casualties of ‘hard combat’
- Many Americans would quickly face financial hardship after losing job, poll shows
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford thanks supporters at re-election campaign bash
Algae responsible for fish kill in pond on the Mall
A National Park Service cleanup crew began scooping 1,000 dead fish from the Constitution Gardens pond on the Mall on Thursday, a calamity caused by decomposing algae that depletes the oxygen in the water.
Ms. Johnson said she does not know how many times the pond has had to be cleaned and restocked over the years, but she said fish deaths have been a “continuing problem” since the pond was built in 1976.
The shallow cement pond has no outlet to flush water, so when the temperature rises, algae grows on the bottom. When the temperature drops again, the algae dies and consumes the oxygen, suffocating the fish.
The Mall plans for reconstruction include a design competition for Constitution Gardens and the Washington Monument grounds that will address the pond’s ecological problems, officials said. Meanwhile, the pond will be cleaned out within the next few days, though the cleaning crew size is limited by Park Service budget cuts.
Workers will try to rebalance the pond’s ecology, but Ms. Johnson said she does not know whether the fish will be replenished before reconstruction.
TWT Video Picks
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Immigration still on hold: Boehner's office
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- Supreme Court weighs appeal to concealed-carry gun laws
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- BRUCE: Obama deliberately emboldening America's enemies
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Nancy Pelosi washes immigrants' feet in humble Holy Week act then promotes on Twitter
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.