- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
KNIGHT: Too much bull from the White House
Like most Americans, the rodeo clown has a reason to frown
Question of the Day
It’s obviously high time for President Obama to appoint a rodeo clown czar.
He’s got more than 40 other “czars” to govern everything else. Why not create a new authority devoted to punishing people who think they live in a free country where you can make fun of the president?
On Aug. 10, a rodeo clown at the Missouri State Fair donned an Obama mask and stood like a straw man while another clown taunted him and then let a bull loose to chase him. The crowd roared its approval of this crude stunt.
Predictably, officials went ballistic, barring the mask-wearing clown for life. But they weren’t done. They also ordered all rodeo clowns in Missouri to undergo Mao-style sensitivity training. The horses are next, beginning with the geldings.
Meanwhile, the local NAACP called for federal investigations into this insult to Dear Leader. NAACP activists once fought for civil rights. Now they’re vying to become an American version of the silly British fascists of the 1930s lampooned in P.G. Wodehouse’s novels about Wooster and Jeeves. All they need are armbands and spats.
We could laugh, except that the NAACP’s demand reveals deeper, institutionalized problems.
The other day, before an eye exam, I was given a questionnaire with a list of racial and ethnic categories.
“What does this have to do with my eyes?” I asked the receptionist. “I see a box saying that I can refuse to answer, so I’m going to check it.”
“That’s OK,” she said. “We have to give these to everybody, and, no, you don’t have to fill it in if you don’t want to.”
But Obamacare hasn’t really kicked in. I doubt that patients will have the option to refuse next year.
It’s not just doctors’ offices feeling the heavy hand of government. Executive agencies of all kinds under Mr. Obama are flexing bureaucratic muscle over the public, which, in most cases, has no choice but to submit.
The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has issued an Orwellian proposal, “Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing.” You could not draft a better script of totalitarian rhetoric masquerading as “equal rights.”
The plan calls for federal study of all neighborhoods in the United States to secure statistically diverse populations. You do this — how? By forcing people to move? Fining them for living in certain neighborhoods? Well, they’ll figure out a way.
If you thought forced busing, which destroyed thousands of schools and ignited racial resentment, was bad, well, that was kids’ stuff compared to the grandiose scheme hatched by Mr. Obama’s housing department.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Ted Nugent loses second casino gig for 'racist remarks'
- Russia shipping sophisticated weapons systems to Ukraine separatists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- Let it roll: D.C. Council hits Las Vegas on taxpayer's dime, leaves $14,000 tab