- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
- Taliban yank 14 Shiites off bus, bind and shoot them on Afghan road
- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
KNIGHT: Too much bull from the White House
Like most Americans, the rodeo clown has a reason to frown
Question of the Day
“The current practice of affirmatively furthering fair housing carried out by HUD grantees … has not been as effective as had been envisioned,” the document says.
Translation: People are choosing where to live. America still has ethnically and racially dominant neighborhoods. Some are wealthier than others. This will not do. Therefore, get a load of this next Big Brother passage:
“HUD will provide states, local governments, insular areas, and public housing agencies (PHAs), as well as the communities they serve, with data on patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health, among other critical assets; disproportionate housing needs based on the classes protected under the Fair Housing Act . From these data, program participants will set forth fair-housing priorities and goals.”
You thought the National Security Agency was being nosy? As a matter of fact, how do we know that the NSA is not in on this? Haven’t you noticed the trench-coated guy in your garden, peering through the window and counting heads as you sit down to dinner?
No wonder my eye doctor is being required to collect racial information. Americans are being reduced from free citizens into mere members of groups that can be advantaged or disadvantaged by power-hungry government officials.
Mr. Obama is increasingly lawless. Last month, he justified suspending the Obamacare employer mandate for one year (until after the 2014 elections), saying, “We did have the executive authority to do so, and we did so.” No, he didn’t. Nowhere in the Constitution is the president allowed to change laws unilaterally or refuse to enforce them. Mr. Obama and his surrogates routinely do both.
The Justice Department embraces racist policies, subverts the Defense of Marriage Act, strikes down voter-ID laws, and ships arms illegally to Mexico. The National Labor Relations Board, acting like union goons, persecutes businesses. The Environmental Protection Agency enforces laws that Congress explicitly rejected. The Department of Health and Human Services forces faith-based institutions to violate their consciences. Military chaplains are told to chuck their Bibles and salute the rainbow flag. The list is growing by the day.
Which brings us back to the fanciful rodeo clown czar.
Many Americans are asking when the House of Representatives will saddle up and begin using its power of the purse to ride herd on the administration’s lawlessness, such as the appointment of unconstitutional czars.
Right now, the House leaders look more like the rodeo clown, without the mask.
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- Algerian plane diverted due to storms, second aircraft: 116 missing
- ISIL captured 52 U.S.-made howitzers; artillery weapons cost 500K each