- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Sen. Tom Coburn vows to slow down budget-busting bills ahead of recess
- Obama fantasizes about more executive power, signs new order on federal contractors
- Clintons call Klein, Halper, Kessler ‘a Hat Trick of despicable actors’: report
- Boehner accuses Obama of ‘legacy of lawlessness’
- Pro-marijuana group claims responsibility for Brooklyn Bridge flag swap
- Young adults shun Obamacare mostly due to cost: survey
- Stabbing attack on transgender girl, 15, was ‘bias motivated,’ police say
- LGBT adults still lean overwhelmingly toward Democratic Party
- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
KNIGHT: Too much bull from the White House
Like most Americans, the rodeo clown has a reason to frown
Question of the Day
“The current practice of affirmatively furthering fair housing carried out by HUD grantees … has not been as effective as had been envisioned,” the document says.
Translation: People are choosing where to live. America still has ethnically and racially dominant neighborhoods. Some are wealthier than others. This will not do. Therefore, get a load of this next Big Brother passage:
“HUD will provide states, local governments, insular areas, and public housing agencies (PHAs), as well as the communities they serve, with data on patterns of integration and segregation; racially and ethnically concentrated areas of poverty; access to education, employment, low-poverty, transportation, and environmental health, among other critical assets; disproportionate housing needs based on the classes protected under the Fair Housing Act . From these data, program participants will set forth fair-housing priorities and goals.”
You thought the National Security Agency was being nosy? As a matter of fact, how do we know that the NSA is not in on this? Haven’t you noticed the trench-coated guy in your garden, peering through the window and counting heads as you sit down to dinner?
No wonder my eye doctor is being required to collect racial information. Americans are being reduced from free citizens into mere members of groups that can be advantaged or disadvantaged by power-hungry government officials.
Mr. Obama is increasingly lawless. Last month, he justified suspending the Obamacare employer mandate for one year (until after the 2014 elections), saying, “We did have the executive authority to do so, and we did so.” No, he didn’t. Nowhere in the Constitution is the president allowed to change laws unilaterally or refuse to enforce them. Mr. Obama and his surrogates routinely do both.
The Justice Department embraces racist policies, subverts the Defense of Marriage Act, strikes down voter-ID laws, and ships arms illegally to Mexico. The National Labor Relations Board, acting like union goons, persecutes businesses. The Environmental Protection Agency enforces laws that Congress explicitly rejected. The Department of Health and Human Services forces faith-based institutions to violate their consciences. Military chaplains are told to chuck their Bibles and salute the rainbow flag. The list is growing by the day.
Which brings us back to the fanciful rodeo clown czar.
Many Americans are asking when the House of Representatives will saddle up and begin using its power of the purse to ride herd on the administration’s lawlessness, such as the appointment of unconstitutional czars.
Right now, the House leaders look more like the rodeo clown, without the mask.
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Inside the Ring: Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- Army's 3-D printed bombs to create 'a whole new universe' of lethal capabilities
- GOP leaders delay border bill, leave Obama in control
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- CIA admits improperly hacking Senate computers in search of Bush-era information
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- 3 African leaders cancel trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens