- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
- U.N. warns of Muslim ‘cleansing’ in Central African Republic
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Drug mix may have cured child born with HIV, doctors say
- De Blasio’s wife irks former mansion chef with ‘servant’ remark
- Russia’s neighbors shiver amid Putin’s Cold War moves in Ukraine
- New SAT: The essay portion is to become optional
- Military group can’t march to honor the fallen at Boston Marathon due to security changes
- Senate passes bills deleting ‘retarded’ from laws
- China announces biggest military hike in 3 years: We are not ‘boy scouts with spears’
Gay couples in Rhode Island can use new right-to-marry law to get divorces
Gay couples in Rhode Island turned out in force to take advantage of the state’s new right-to-marry laws, which went into effect this week. But not all sought unions.
Some wanted divorces, The Associated Press reported.
Attorney Neville Bedford said to WPRI-TV that his client — a gay female who had married in Massachusetts in 2008 — had relocated to Rhode Island for work, but then wanted to get divorced in 2011. She couldn’t because Rhode Island didn’t recognize gay marriage, never mind gay divorce.
Rhode Island’s new law for same-sex marriage rectifies her dilemma.
Mr. Bedford filed her divorce paperwork on Thursday — at the same time other same-sex couples were rushing to obtain marriage certificates, AP reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Napoleon's death-bed hair, shirt to hit the auction block
- Rachel Canning revealed: Host let teen throw booze parties
- Bob Costas botox caused pink eye; NBC host denies claim
- Woman born male sues CrossFit for gender discrimination
- Darrell Issa pressed by Black Caucus to say sorry to Elijah Cummings
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- DELAY: A revolution for the Constitution
- BRUCE: Obama's bizarre immigration rules
- Putin has transformed Russian army into a lean, mean fighting machine
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- R-S-P-E-C-T: Find out what it means for Obama
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Unemployment insurance vote could happen next week
- Russian lawmaker wants to outlaw U.S. dollar, calls it a Ponzi scheme
- Senate rejects Gillibrand's overhaul of military's handling of sexual assaults
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again