- Biden to lead $600 million work force training effort
- Atheists’ Easter taunt to Christians: ‘Jesus is a myth’
- Miley Cyrus hospitalized, cancels Kansas City show
- Josh Romney swipes Harry Reid with photo tweet of dad paying taxes — ‘your paycheck’
- Despite Obamacare problems, some Dems want Sebelius to run for Senate: report
- Angry New Yorkers shred gun registrations in deadline day protests
- Uninsured rate dropping faster in places that embraced pillars of Obamacare, survey shows
- Hawaii, D.C. give residents two more weeks to sign up under Obamacare
- Climate change causing fish to lose their minds, researchers say
- Great Britain tops World’s Most Sexist Nation list
‘The Butler’ director: U.S. more racist now that Obama’s president
Award-winning director Lee Daniels, best known for “Precious” and “The Butler,” said that Americans are showing their true racist colors now that a black man is in the White House.
“That’s a powerful question,” Mr. Daniels said. “I think that people are angry that he’s president and I think that they are showing their true colors and I think that when Danny Strong wrote those words, ‘any black man could be killed by any white man and get away with it,’ Trayvon Martin had not happened. I end the movie with hope. He’s walking down and Obama’s giving that famous speech and then I come out of my edit room and Trayvon Martin has happened.”
He surmised that the country is more racist now, though rocker and “Butler” star Lenny Kravitz, who joined Mr. Daniels on the program, disagreed, saying “things are getting better with each generation.”
“The Butler,” which stars Forest Whitaker, debuted at the number one spot over the weekend, raking in approximately $25 million.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Donald Rumsfeld has 'no idea' if he paid taxes correctly
- Facebook working toward mobile payments system
- Stoned mom avoids jail after driving 12 miles with baby on roof
- Booze and bullets? Oklahoma gun range seeks liquor license
- Suspected Islamic gunmen kidnap 100 girls from Nigeria secondary school: reports
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By returning to Christian roots, the nation can achieve greatness once again
- Fuel-filled wings, ability to swarm: Pentagon offers glimpse at future of drone fleet
- Secret U.S. assessments show Afghanistan not ready to govern on own
- CARSON: Recovering Tocqueville's vision of American exceptionalism
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- GOP writes legislation to deny Attorney General Eric Holder his salary
- Nevada Bundy ranch standoff could leave dirt on Harry Reid reputation
- WEBER: Obamacare cuts home healthcare for millions of seniors
- HURT: Wilson and Obama ... 100 years apart, but so alike
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Al Qaeda mocks U.S. in 'extraordinary' Yemen gathering; experts fear CIA caught flat-footed
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.