- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Cruz: Thanks but no thanks to Canadian citizenship
Question of the Day
While insisting he has no beef with Canada, the land of his birth, Sen. Ted Cruz announced his plans Tuesday to rip up his Canadian citizenship in order to help quell the growing controversy over whether he is eligible to run for president.
The Dallas Morning News reported that the Texas Republican said he was extremely proud to be an American and that he had decided to pick sides after the birth certificate he released Monday showed that he had been born in 1970 to an American-born mother in Alberta, making him a citizen of both countries.
“Assuming that is true, then sure, I will renounce any Canadian citizenship,” Mr. Cruz said in the statement. “Nothing against Canada, but I’m an American by birth and as a U.S. senator, I believe I should be only an American.”
The decision to release the birth certificate was largely seen as an attempt to defuse any potential political land mines that could get in his way should he chose to run for president in 2016.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Chris Christie faces flak on New Hampshire campaign foray
- Chris Christie sidesteps Bridgegate, again tops Republican presidential field
- Democrats may win at fundraising but still lose to GOP at polls
- Impeachment talks revving up Democratic base: DCCC
- Boehner says impeachment talk is Democratic fundraising ploy
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Pentagon wants extra $19M to equip, train Ukrainian troops
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- Houston mayor: Sorry that police put man's blind dog on road to die
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors