- House and Senate negotiators reach two-year budget deal
- Congress seeks ban on in-flight calls
- Michelle Malkin’s Twitchy site sold to owners of Townhall, HotAir: report
- GM’s Barra to be first woman to run top American carmaker
- China: Poisonous smog is a military asset, if you think about it
- Texas woman admits to sending ricin to Obama
- Ron Paul on son Rand: ‘I think he probably will’ run for president
- Cold War heats up again in the Arctic: Russian airfield reactivated after 20 years
- 6-year-old boy suspended for sexual harassment over kiss
- Voters deciding Mass. congressional contest
Doctor details Boston Marathon suspect’s injuries
BOSTON — Newly released court documents describe the extent of injuries to the surviving suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing, including multiple gunshot wounds to his face and a skull fracture.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s injuries were described by Dr. Stephen Ray Odom during a legal proceeding at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center three days after Tsarnaev was captured hiding in a boat in a backyard in the Boston suburb of Watertown. A transcript of the testimony was unsealed Monday by U.S. District Judge George O'Toole Jr.
Odom, a trauma surgeon who treated Tsarnaev, said the most severe injury was from a bullet that appeared to enter through the left inside of his mouth and exit the lower section of his face on the left side. He described it as a “high-powered injury” that resulted in a skull-base fracture, injuries to his middle ear, the skull base, the pharynx and mouth.
Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty to numerous charges in the April 15 bombing — including using a weapon of mass destruction — and faces a potential death sentence if convicted. The twin bombings near the finish line of the marathon killed three people and injured more than 260 others.
During his arraignment last month, Tsarnaev’s jaw appeared injured, and his left eye and cheek were still swollen. He also wore a cast covering his left forearm, hand and fingers for the seven-minute proceeding that marked his first appearance in public since his capture.
“He knows that he has an injury to the neck and to the hand,” Odom said.
Tsarnaev was wounded during a confrontation with police a day after authorities released photos of him and his older brother, Tamerlan, as suspects in the bombing.
Tsarnaev’s lawyer, Miriam Conrad, declined to comment on the newly released documents. A spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Carmen Ortiz also declined to comment.
By Tom Fitton
New photos confirm the attack's coordination and its cover-up
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service
- Somber duty: U.S. presidents in hot demand at Mandela's memorial
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whiskey: U.K.-born expert
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- FITTON: A closer look at the Benghazi lie
- Israeli P.M. Benjamin Netanyahu backs out of Nelson Mandela funeral
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Raul Castro at Nelson Mandela's funeral
- Troops forced to rely on welfare, holiday charity
- NYC alarms with notice: Immediately surrender your rifle
- Obama lied about Syrian chemical attack, 'cherry-picked' intelligence: report
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Global economy, the civilizing power of markets and public morals.
News and opinion from a Millennial Urbanite with Southern sensibilities,
Notes from a running nerd: musings and more on all things running.
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow