- Planned Parenthood rebrands ‘pro-choice’ as ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Focus on Williams is a distraction
Question of the Day
I bet more Virginians could tell you who businessman Jonnie Williams is than can name the two candidates for governor, or name the candidates for attorney general (“McDonnell apologizes, repays Jonnie Williams‘ loan,” Web, July 23). The press’s laser focus on Mr. Williams is hindering the ability of Virginians to participate in the public debate — and in this case, the debate is over who will lead the commonwealth for the next four years.
Mr. Williams, for all his infamy, has not received a single benefit from his association with Gov. Bob McDonnell or the governor’s family. The governor has said as much, Star Scientific has said as much, and even former state Attorney General Tony Troy, a Democrat, has said that.
I feel confident that the investigations now going on will get to that same truth, which will come as a great disappointment to the Washington press corps. Without Mr. Williams, the media will have to go back to reporting the routine business of government under Mr. McDonnell — and that includes state surpluses over the course of three consecutive years, improved education at all levels, putting agriculture on the same level as other businesses, job creation and providing state workers their first base raise in six years.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens