Mr. Maxwell said he received a memo from the State Department’s human resources department informing him that his administrative leave status had been lifted and that he should report for duty Tuesday.
“No explanation, no briefing, just come back to work. So I will go in tomorrow,” Mr. Maxwell said in an interview with The Daily Beast, which was first to report on the reinstatements Monday night.
As the only employee suspended from the State Department’s Bureau of Near Eastern Affairs to have been placed on administrative leave in the case, Mr. Maxwell has claimed to have had no involvement in decisions related to Benghazi prior to the attacks.
The actions of the other three officials, however, have featured prominently in congressional hearings over the past year. During one hearing, roughly a month after the attack, Ms. Lamb acknowledged having denied requests for increased security made by U.S. officials on the ground in Libya.
In testimony before the House oversight committee, she said Mr. Boswell and Mr. Bultrowicz had signed off on the decision.
“After the [accountability review board] identified systemic failures and leadership deficiencies that contributed to the grossly inadequate security in Benghazi, it is unacceptable for the State Department to hold no one responsible for the broader mismanagement that occurred prior to the attack,” Ms. Collins said in a statement. “To reinstate all the employees who were placed on administrative leave without holding anyone else, including higher-level officials like Patrick Kennedy … is shocking.”
Mr. Issa said he will expand his investigation to look at Mr. Kerry’s decision. He previously said he was looking at how the accountability review board reached its conclusions and that investigators never interviewed the four employees or their supervisors.