- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
2013 U.S. Open draw puts Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer in same quarter
Question of the Day
NEW YORK — Defending champion Andy Murray could face top-seeded Novak Djokovic only in the U.S. Open semifinals, while Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer — who have never played each other at Flushing Meadows — might meet in the quarterfinals.
Murray beat Djokovic in the 2012 final.
Thursday’s draw for the year’s last Grand Slam tournament also set up these possible men’s quarterfinals: 2011 champion Djokovic vs. 2009 champion Juan Martin del Potro, No. 3 Murray vs. No. 5 Tomas Berdych, and No. 4 David Ferrer vs. No. 8 Richard Gasquet.
The potential women’s quarterfinals are No. 1 Serena Williams against No. 8 Angelique Kerber, No. 2 Victoria Azarenka against No. 7 Petra Kvitova, No. 3 Agnieszka Radwanska against No. 5 Li Na, and No. 4 Sara Errani against No. 6 Caroline Wozniacki.
The full draw is below:
Novak Djokovic (1), Serbia, vs. Ricardas Berankis, Lithuania
Lukasz Kubot, Poland, vs. Jarkko Nieminen, Finland
Joao Sousa, Portugal, vs. Grigor Dimitrov (25), Bulgaria
w-Tim Smyczek, United States, vs. w-James Duckworth, Australia
Rajeev Ram, United States, vs. Fabio Fognini (16), Italy
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- WEST: Those who would rather join the jihadi army than their own nation's army
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq