- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-U.S. Hollywood got rich on capitalism
Question of the Day
Excluding many country-western singers, most entertainers and probably 99 percent of Hollywood’s elite, after becoming very rich in our capitalist, free-market society, develop a totally disdainful attitude toward America and our way of life and governance (“Celebrity sales force recruited to sell Obamacare to the young,” Web, July 22).
The actors and actresses are the guiltiest. Ironically, their artistic value is being great liars, genuine phonies. They get paid big bucks for pretending to be someone else. This talent adds nothing to our society other than a little humor or a few moments of enjoyment. Once successful, these people become role models, heroes, even idols.
The shallow, lofty fame they acquire seems to make them think they are automatic political gurus — and given a bully pulpit, they spew their uninformed venom about their “warmongering” country and what greedy and vile people we are.
One last, scary thought: They all adore President Obama.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
Get Breaking Alerts
- House GOP resurrects border bill, predicts successful Friday vote
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up