- Argentina beats Dutch in shootout to reach World Cup final
- Tanard Jackson suspended indefinitely by NFL — again
- FAA investigating fireworks drone flights
- Pentagon: We’ll give Obama a drone strike with al-Baghdadi’s name on it
- Marine in Mexican custody to get day in court after 101 days
- Senate OKs San Antonio mayor as housing secretary
- NFL star likely fooled by Marine impostor who accepted first-class plane ticket
- Sen. Ted Cruz tweets Obama directions from fundraisers to border towns
- Israel hits key Hamas targets in Gaza offensive
- Ten-year sentence for New Orleans’ Nagin on graft charges
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-U.S. Hollywood got rich on capitalism
Question of the Day
Excluding many country-western singers, most entertainers and probably 99 percent of Hollywood’s elite, after becoming very rich in our capitalist, free-market society, develop a totally disdainful attitude toward America and our way of life and governance (“Celebrity sales force recruited to sell Obamacare to the young,” Web, July 22).
The actors and actresses are the guiltiest. Ironically, their artistic value is being great liars, genuine phonies. They get paid big bucks for pretending to be someone else. This talent adds nothing to our society other than a little humor or a few moments of enjoyment. Once successful, these people become role models, heroes, even idols.
The shallow, lofty fame they acquire seems to make them think they are automatic political gurus — and given a bully pulpit, they spew their uninformed venom about their “warmongering” country and what greedy and vile people we are.
One last, scary thought: They all adore President Obama.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Banning speech with a constitutional amendment is playing with fire
Get Breaking Alerts
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
- GORDON: Russia plays its own game away from the World Cup
- ISTOOK: Flying illegals home would be 99.5 percent cheaper than Obamas plan
- White House plans for bowling alley upgrades abruptly canceled
- Obama requests $3.7 billion to fight surge of illegals
- Colorado man offers Obama a toke of marijuana a Rocky Mountain 'high'
- Islamic militants aim to take Baghdad airport
- Gun advocates credit new concealed carry laws for sharp drop in Chicago murder rate
- Power grab: EPA wants to garnish wages of polluters
- Malaysian MP not sorry for tweeting 'long live Hitler' after Germany win