- Joe Biden: I can’t be president — my golf would suffer
- German authorities grab suspected hardline Islamist
- Rare lesbian HIV transmission case turns up in Texas
- Obama economy: Rich get richer, as millionaires’ list grows
- Army’s ‘Most Wanted’ fugitive on lam since 1977 nabbed in Florida
- ‘Seinfeld’-loving fraudsters busted on ID theft — of Eric Holder
- Spain, Morocco break up jihadist recruitment cell, arrest 7
- Muslim insurgents shoot then set on fire Buddhist teacher in Thailand
- Air Force cadets ‘revolt’ after officials remove biblical verse from whiteboard
- Rep. Lee: Paul Ryan out of touch with urban Americans
LAMBRO: Still missing: The recovery
Despite the White House hype, America’s lot is worsening
“What this means is that the U.S. economy is not merely recovering from the recession more slowly than one might like, but is actually getting worse for many Americans,” economic analyst Michael Sivy wrote in Time magazine’s business and money website.
In his prescient March 3 analysis, titled “Why Many Americans Feel Like They’re Getting Poorer,” Mr. Sivy forecast that “the standard of living is falling for as much as half the population, particularly if you look beyond monthly numbers to longer-term trends.” That forecast was deadly accurate. The nation’s gross domestic product barely grew at a snail’s pace 1.4 percent annual rate in the first six months of this year.
In virtually all of the news media’s reporting about the economy’s decline, one name is hardly ever mentioned: Mr. Obama. He is to blame, though, for the economic pain millions of Americans are going through. It all stems from his anti-growth policies, which have given us higher taxes, oppressive gas prices, crushing federal debt, unending economic uncertainty and costly regulatory obstacles.
It’s not going to end until his term is over, and a pro-growth, pro-free enterprise president occupies the Oval Office and declares that America is “open for business.”
Donald Lambro is a syndicated columnist and contributor to The Washington Times.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Bob Dole
The industrious island has proved itself worthy of U.S. inclusion
Get Breaking Alerts
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
- F-35 secrets now showing up in Chinas stealth fighter
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Deportations come mostly from border, DHS chief says
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- BRUCE: The power of 'bossy'
- EDITORIAL: Lois Lerner's dilemma
- Justice Department refuses info on hundreds of prosecutor misconduct cases
- U.S.: Malaysia plane's on-board communications purposely shut down
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: De Blasio doing disservice to 'underdog' students
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Anti-God humanism will ruin nation
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Issue impeachment, not a toothless bill
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Put proof behind 'Bush lied' assertion
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wind power less harmful to wildlife