- NYC creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Florida judge slaps GOP’s redistricting plans: You ‘made a mockery’ of process
- Muslims give Obama high marks over first half of 2014
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men
- KISS rocker Gene Simmons touts 1 percent life: ‘It’s fantastic’
- Texas shooting suspect had faced other charges
- Californian who sold secret to China sentenced to 15 years in prison
- Couple, 3 kids among 7 killed in Massachusetts apartment fire
- Angry mom to Obama: Feds let illegal immigrant stay and ‘KILL my son!’
- Mideast hostilities ratchet as rockets from Lebanon strike Israel
MILLER: Is this Martin Luther King’s legacy? National Mall covered in garbage
Question of the Day
The day after thousands rallied to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s March on Washington, the National Mall looks like a trash dump.
The grass from the Lincoln Memorial to the World War II Memorial is covered Sunday with empty soda cans, water bottles, boxed lunches, newspapers, a broken chair and rally signs. The Reflecting Pool also was filled with trash.
Although the trash cans were full along the expanse, the attendees did not attempt to leave their garbage near the bins. Instead, they left everything on the grass where they stood.
On Saturday, prominent Democrats such as Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, along with civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and MSNBC host Al Sharpton spoke to tens of thousands assembled along the expanse.
They analyzed the meaning of King's "I Have a Dream" speech for today's political issues. Several referenced Trayvon Martin, whose parents attended the event, and called for states to recall "stand your ground laws" — which had nothing to do with George Zimmerman's acquittal.
Before the event, Washington Mayor Vincent C. Gray spoke at a D.C. statehood rally and march that took place at the D.C. War Memorial, which is on Independence Avenue Southwest near the Lincoln Memorial. Mr. Gray then moved a few blocks over to speak at the anniversary rally.
Clearly, his protesters moved with him, as the grassy area nearest the marble steps of the Lincoln Memorial has a large pile of signs left behind that said: "DC Statehood NOW," "We Want Budet [sic] Autonomy," "Give D.C. to the people" and "Free DC!! Statehood now!!"
Mr. Gray is hoping that Congress gives him budget authority this year, but people who think it is OK to leave their signs on the ground for someone else to clean up can't handle more political autonomy.
The trashed National Mall on Sunday demonstrates disrespect for our nation and other citizens. The shameful mess left behind from the anniversary march dishonors King's memory.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Senate majority leader practices politics of personal destruction
Get Breaking Alerts
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Pennsylvania sends draft notices to 14K dead men: 'We made a mistake'
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- IRS employee suspended for pro-Obama activities
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Israel rejects talk of cease-fire; Hamas targets suspected nuke site
- Amid border crisis, Obama to take 15-day vacation in Martha's Vineyard
- BRUCE: The feds plot to steal your paycheck
- GOP: Lerner warned IRS employees to hide information from Congress
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: America: Land of the free no more?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Wage-theft by employers needs legislative remedy
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Douglass would abhor affirmative action
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama's voter bloc of 'entitlement' illegals