- The Washington Times - Sunday, August 25, 2013


Like most Americans, Ken Collins had no idea of the rising winds of change on Aug. 28, 1963.

Standing that day among a quarter of a million people along the Mall for the historic March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, his presence was barely noticed, although Martin Luther King Jr. and the leading figures of the march knew he was there — as Officer Ken Collins.

His assignment: Escort King to the podium.

A white guy who had returned to his native Washington after serving in the military, Mr. Collins had seen and heard of the bloody turbulence in the South, but segregation in a major city on the cusp of the Mason-Dixon Line was as a quieter way of life.

“I was not expecting it, and it’s something I will never forget,” said Mr. Collins, 78 and retired from the Metropolitan Police Department. “I knew a little about the movement but not a whole lot about him. I knew about the problems in certain cities, but couldn’t figure out what Dr. King was doing that was thought of as so wrong to get arrested. I was born and raised in D.C. and never recalled anything like that happening here.”

Indeed, even as the seat of government, D.C. color lines in 1963 were as optically stark as they were in any other Southern city.

President Kennedy was of two minds — one that segregationist politics and Southern Democrats on Capitol Hill would stamp his legislative efforts dead on arrival, and the other his moral conscience that repeatedly reminded him of the sands in the hour glass.

After several meetings with his Cabinet, advisers and civil rights leaders, Kennedy endorsed the march.

As passive as D.C. denizens had been, however, law and order for a crowd large or small became the order of the day.

George Lincoln Rockwell’s Northern Virginia-based American Nazi Party, which hated Jews and blacks alike, was denied a permit to parade. Yet, sure enough, there he was on the Mall puffing on a corncob pipe. With him were a few dozen followers looking un-Gen. MacArthur-like, out of uniform and dressed in civvies.

The permit denial was but one extreme protocol taken by law enforcement authorities.

The march would be held on a workday — as far from weekend bookends as possible — hence, a Wednesday.

The city would order the closure of liquor stores and ban the sale of alcohol.

Military police, a position Mr. Collins held while in the Army, would line the Mall.

Story Continues →