- Lawmakers rattled by Syria genocide horrors, call on Obama to act
- African leader cancels trip to U.S. over Ebola outbreak; Obama still plans summit
- Sarah Palin’s online channel hits snag when Stephen Colbert buys similar URL
- SWAT spends seven hours in standoff with empty home
- U.S. troops told not to eat, drink in front of Muslims during Ramadan
- Iran’s Rouhani: Israel, Islamic State are ‘tumors derived from the same origin’
- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
Sen. Bob Corker predicts military strike against Syria
Question of the Day
The top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee said Monday that he expects U.S. will be involved in some sort of military response to the suspected use of chemical weapons by the Syrian government.
Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee said during an appearance on NBC’s “Today” show that he talked with Obama administration officials Sunday night and said he thinks that the White House is working to rally support among the nation’s NATO allies for some sort of “surgical” and “proportional” military response.
“I do think action is going to occur,” Mr. Corker said.
Mr. Corker said that he thinks the U.S. will continue to support vetted moderate opposition forces on the ground and that he hopes the administration will seek authorization for a response when lawmakers return to Washington next week from their summer break.
“Certainly a red line for us has been the use of chemicals against people,” Mr. Corker said. “That has occurred. We need obviously to respond to that, but I don’t want us to change our overall policy.”
A senior White House officials has said that there was “very little doubt” that Syrian President Bashar Asssad used chemical weapons last week on his own people.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Chris Christie sidesteps Bridgegate, again tops Republican presidential field
- Democrats may win at fundraising but still lose to GOP at polls
- Impeachment talks revving up Democratic base: DCCC
- Boehner says impeachment talk is Democratic fundraising ploy
- Achin' for Akin: Democrats praying for GOP Gaffes in midterms
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Israel surprised by Hamas tunnel network
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world