- Publisher unveils Hillary Clinton’s new memoir — “Hard Choices”
- Britain’s Labour Party hires David Axelrod — but can’t spell his name
- Washington and Lee law students demand ban on Confederate flag, say Gen. Lee was racist
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain in South Korea
- Ann Coulter takes up ‘Mitt Romney for President’ chant again
- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
MILLER: John Kerry wimps out by calling slaughter in Syria just a ‘moral obscenity’
President Obama’s “red line” in Syria has turned into a stream of blood. His Secretary of State, John Kerry, called the horrendous murder of hundreds of people using weapons of mass destruction just a “moral obscenity.”
These wimpy words and unfulfilled promises give the world the impression that America is weak. We are better than that.
On Monday, Mr. Kerry finally made a statement about the horrifying chemical weapons used against Syrians that killed at least 300, likely more. “The indiscriminate slaughter of civilians, the killing of women and children and innocent bystanders, by chemical weapons is a moral obscenity.”
That is the strongest language the diplomat’s speechwriters could come up with to describe this horror?
Those terms would show the world that America is not afraid to tell the truth and stand up for justice.
More broadly, the secretary of state’s sudden moral outrage is too little, too late for all those dead and displaced from this bloody civil war.
“Kerry’s absolute moral outrage is oddly timed. The idea that people killed by their government last year or the year before wasn’t morally equivalent to the chemical attack last week is perplexing,” Richard Grenell, who was spokesman at the United Nations for all eight years of the Bush administration told me in an interview Tueday.
“One hundred thousand people have been killed. One million refugees have been created. But the 1,300 people killed by chemical weapons is morally unacceptable?”
Mr. Genell added that, “I guess if you don’t have 16 U.N. resolutions on Syria to point to, you go to the State Department press corps and give a speech in the press room, and then walk out without taking questions in a moral outrage.”
Mr. Obama waited too long to stand up to the President Assad.
The red line — chemical warfare — has now been used at least twice on innocent people, blowing a huge hole in the laws of civilized society.
The grieving families all over Syria view what has happened is a whole lot worse than a “moral obscenity.”
We can only hope that it will not be too late for America to regain the respect of the global community after this president leaves office.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
Get Breaking Alerts
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- CBO shows it's Paul Ryan 4, Obama 0 on budget targeting
- PRUDEN: When a bored president just 'mails it in'
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- Inside China: Marine's comment on islands draws sharp Chinese response
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Golden Hammer: Easter candy bitter taste for taxpayers?
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable