- Obama’s regulatory agenda will cost U.S. economy $143B next year: report
- Patriot Act author on James Clapper: Fire, prosecute him
- Russia P.M. Medvedev: No amnesty for political prisoners
- Michigan GOP Senate hopeful reminds government is the ‘servant’
- Christmas, by Congress: Members mull a 15-cent tax on trees
- U.S. unemployment falls to five-year low of 7 percent; 203K jobs added
- World mourns Nelson Mandela and celebrates his life; burial set for Dec. 15
- Bill O’Reilly reminds: Nelson Mandela ‘was a communist’
- John Boehner says GOP should support gay candidates: ‘I do’
- Grass-Whopper: Pan-fried cricket burgers go over big in New York City
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Outrage absent in Lane killing
Question of the Day
It’s been more than a week since Australian citizen Christopher Lane fatally shot in Oklahoma, and I have to ask, where’s the outrage (“Obama’s Oklahoma hypocrisy,” Commentary, Aug. 26)? Where is a statement from the White House? Where is Attorney General Eric Holder?
I cannot think of a better example than this of a double standard when it comes to racial issues. Here, we have a situation where two black teenagers fatally shot a white man. They shot him because “they were bored” and “thought it would be fun.” Just one week prior one of the teens posted this on his Twitter account, “90% of white ppl are nasty. #HATE THEM” and “Ayeee, I knocced out 5 [white people] since Zimmerman court!” Why isn’t that a hate crime?
Imagine if this had been three white teenagers who had fatally shot a black man because they “thought it would be fun.” Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would have flown to Oklahoma, set up headquarters, demanded it be investigated as a hate crime, and Mr. Holder would have been right there. Every news outlet would have swooped in like a pack of hyenas.
Martin Luther King Jr. once said he had a dream that one day his four children would live in a nation where they would not be judged by the color of their skin, but rather the content of their character. I guess Mr. Jackson and Mr. Sharpton have forgotten these words and prefer to judge people by the color of their skin.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
Get Breaking Alerts
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Bill OReilly reminds: Nelson Mandela was a communist
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Hack attack: 2 million Facebook, Twitter passwords stolen
- Kill team: Obama war chiefs widen drone death zones
- Obama administration issues permits for wind farms to kill more eagles
- Embryonic stem cell research falls out of favor as scientists go ethical
- EDITORIAL: Our ideological president
- PRUDEN: British press horrified as London's new mayor dares to proclaim the truth
- MILLER: Obamacare enrollees include 101 members of the House of Representatives