- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
- No selfie awareness: Obama, Biden mug for Instagram as Ukraine implodes
- Putin to Snowden: We don’t collect droves of data on everyone like the U.S.
- Clemson football’s new opponent: Atheists upset with player prayer, Bible study
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s re-election launch party will be ‘history in the making,’ brother says
- Louisiana group hits back at Sen. Mary Landrieu campaign ad with ‘Actress Mary’ spot
- Brain surgery victim struggles with Obamacare: ‘It’s scary’
- Pro-Russian forces storm Ukrainian national guard base; 3 killed
- Joe Biden’s first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
Treasury Secretary Jack Lew: Congress should raise debt ceiling quickly
Mr. Lew said that President Obama has been very clear that his administration is not going to negotiate over the nation’s borrowing limit.
“What we need in our economy is some certainty,” Mr. Lew said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box.” “We don’t need another self-inflicted wound. We don’ need another crisis of the last minute. Congress should come back and it should act.”
Mr. Lew informed members of Congress on Monday that the government will only be able to continuing borrowing money through mid-October before the treasury department runs into the legal limit on U.S. debt.
The notification came as lawmakers gear up for another annual fight over spending bills, which must be passed before the end of September.
The national debt stood at $16.738 trillion last week.
House Speaker John A. Boehner is demanding that for every dollar increase in the nation’s debt ceiling there should be a dollar in spending cuts.
Mr. Lew also said that the Obama administration would not accept a delay in funding of Obamacare.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Freedom Summit unofficial start to '16 GOP primary
- Eric Cantor falls hard from good graces of conservatives
- Eric Cantor pressured to skip conference by moderate GOP group
- GOP congressman: Empower states to legalize marijuana
- Gov. Jindal: GOP 2016 White House nominee should be a governor
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- NAPOLITANO: Hope for the dead and freedom for the living
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- PETA officials collide with deer
- CNN op-ed claims right-wingers 'more deadly than jihadists'
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.