- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
ACC gets chance to make great 1st impression
Question of the Day
OK, ACC, this is your chance.
The first month or so of the college football season is as much about how conferences fare against each other as it is about which teams win.
The Atlantic Coast Conference, forever trying to shed its reputation as the fifth best of the major football leagues, gets three shots to knock off the neighborhood bully SEC during the opening weekend.
On Thursday night, North Carolina takes on No. 6 South Carolina, one of six Southeastern Conference teams ranked in the Top 12 of the AP preseason poll.
Virginia Tech can pull off a huge upset Saturday when it faces No. 1 Alabama in Atlanta.
The main event comes Saturday night in Death Valley _ the one in South Carolina.
No. 8 Clemson plays No. 5 Georgia. It’s the Tigers’ third straight game against the SEC after losing to South Carolina to end last regular season and beating LSU in the Chick-fil-A bowl.
“Regardless of what conference they’re from, you’ve got the No. 5 team coming to your stadium,” Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said. “That’s all that really matters.”
Well, maybe to you coach.
Aside from Clemson, the ACC went 0-5 against the SEC last season.
The ACC also gets a crack at Penn State (vs. Syracuse), BYU (at Virginia) and Louisiana Tech (at North Carolina State) during the opening weekend.
Win about half those big games and the ACC gets to boast. Win no more than one, and the when-does-basketball-season-start? jokes begin.
The picks (all games Saturday unless noted).
No. 5 Georgia (minus 2) at No. 8 Clemson
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- McCLAUGHRY: Finish off the "Islamic State" quickly and cheaply
- PRUDEN: When the hangman botches the job
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world