- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Al-Jazeera America off to a weak start: Nielsen
Al-Jazeera America launched last week, and the Nielsen ratings for its first few days have been less than stellar.
The highest-rated show on the network last week was the Thursday-evening edition of “Real Money With Ali Velshi,” which drew 54,000 total viewers, TV Newser reported.
The launch hour, which was Tuesday afternoon at 3 p.m., averaged 22,000 viewers, below Nielsen’s minimum accuracy threshold, meaning the firm cannot accurately count how many people watched it, the report said.
Al-Jazeera America replaced the low-rated Current TV and is currently in only 40 million homes. The network’s launch ratings were pretty low by traditional cable news standards, TV Newser reported.
Many right-wing bloggers, news sites and even politicians long have speculated about the network’s potential success and its impact on public opinion.
New York state Assemblyman Kieran Michael Lalor called for a boycott of the network on Monday, urging Verizon, Comcast, DirecTV and Dish Network to drop “the notoriously anti-American, anti-Semitic and misogynistic” Al-Jazeera network from their basic cable package.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Aronofsky's 'Noah' banned in Qatar, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates
- U.N. warns of Muslim 'cleansing' in Central African Republic
- Otter attacks, kills alligator at Florida wildlife refuge
- Nation's first center that provides abortions and birthing opens in Buffalo, N.Y.
- Tattoo artist draws outrage for inking his dog
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same
- Stolen European passports on Malaysian Airlines Boeing 777
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- PRUDEN: Likening Putin to Hitler on Ukraine shows Hillary's shaky grasp of history
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again