- GOP hopes taking shutdown off the table with budget deal will pay dividends
- Chinese Death Star: The moon cited as the perfect launch pad for ballistic missiles
- Help wanted: Homeland Security plagued by vacancies at the top
- We are not amused: Queen’s protection officers warned to keep ‘sticky fingers’ off the royal cashews
- Unleash the crossbows: Gov. Scott Walker creates new hunting season
- Bubonic plague kills 20 in Madagascar
- G-20 diplomats fell for hacker attack promising nude photos of former French first lady Carla Bruni
- Minnesota guardsman charged with stealing private soldier data for fake IDs
- Florida appeals court rules universities can’t regulate guns
- Vladimir Putin defends Russian conservative values
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Manning will never be a ‘she’
The Washington Times should refrain from adopting the politically correct Associated Press style of referring to people as “him” or “her” according to way these people perceive themselves (“Army: No gender reassignment for Bradley Manning,” Web, Aug. 22). To do so is biologically wrong and journalistically corrupt.
A person’s sex is determined by his or her DNA. Bradley Manning’s Y-chromosome will forever identify him as a man, and no AP style change can alter that fact. Nor can his self-identity as a woman change that fact.
In terms of journalism, a news organization must, of course, always stick to the facts. While it is a fact that Manning identifies as a woman, it is a more fundamental fact that he has a Y-chromosome and is, therefore, a man. His self-identity as a woman could easily be criticized as psychological confusion, a very shaky foundation on which to base journalism.
Therefore, The Washington Times should always refer to people with a Y-chromosome as “he” and to those with a double-X as “she.” To do otherwise would be counterfactual and corrupt.
About the Author
- EDITORIAL: Caught under the mistletoe
- EDITORIAL: The war on pronouns
- EDITORIAL: The Potemkin website
- EDITORIAL: The new payday inequality
- EDITORIAL: This is no bargain
Latest Blog Entries
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Get Breaking Alerts
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- Spike in battlefield deaths linked to restrictive rules of engagement
- Comma on!: Twitter erupts over Obama-Castro 'marriage'
- House votes for bargain to end budget drama
- Biden guarantees victory on immigration reform
- Chinese man fed up with his girlfriend's shopping jumps to his death
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
- Atheists smug as Hindus join Satanists to demand display at Oklahoma Statehouse
- Obama takes 'selfie' at Mandela's funeral service