- Gentlemen, start your drones: Judge’s ruling opens door for commercial use
- Soldier who hid, bragged about not saluting flag to be punished — in secret
- ‘Maverick’ of the seas: ‘Top Gun’ school for U.S. ship officers to launch
- Putin declares Sochi Paralympics open amid Ukrainian protest
- ‘In Jesus name, we pray’ sparks ire at Ohio council meeting
- Navy’s first laser weapon ready for prime time; drone killer to deploy this summer
- Billionaire backer: Rick Santorum ‘needs to be heard’ in 2016
- Obamacare fallout: 49 percent pessimistic; 45 percent ‘scared’
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Seattle socialist: Minimum-wage discussion skewed by ‘right-wing’ GAO analysis
Tigers star Cabrera says he’ll be in lineup Friday
DETROIT (AP) - Detroit Tigers superstar Miguel Cabrera left Thursday’s game against the Oakland Athletics after hurting his abdomen while making an awkward slide trying to stretch a single into a double.
“I’m OK,” he said after teammate Torii Hunter hit a three-run homer with two outs to lift Detroit to a 7-6 win over Oakland. “I’ll play (Friday) _ don’t worry.”
The reigning Triple Crown winner limped off the field in the fifth inning against Oakland. He was listed by the team as day to day with discomfort.
Cabrera has been hobbled this month with a strain in his groin, abdominal and hip area. He previously was playing with a banged-up left leg.
He got two hits before being injured, increasing his major league-leading batting average to .359. He leads baseball with 130 RBIs, and his 43 homers trail only Baltimore’s Chris Davis.
After the bruising slide, Cabrera talked briefly to the team’s athletic trainer and manager Jim Leyland and left the field. The third baseman was replaced by Don Kelly.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- 'Blarney Blowout' near UMass results in 73 arrests; 4 officers injured
- Bill Clinton cashes in on struggling nonprofit hospital
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Vietnam says it may have found door of missing Malaysian jet as intel look into stolen passports
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- CPAC 2014 straw poll results
- Obama engages in Ukraine diplomacy from Fla. resort as Russia digs in
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again