- Congressman: McAuliffe victory means gun control a winning message
- Clinton aide admits soliciting disgraced D.C. fundraiser; says actions were legal
- Joel Osteen church victimized in $600K theft
- Obama goes shopping at Gap as minimum-wage thanks
- N.J. woman charged after client dies from black-market butt injections
- CIA chief Brennan ‘determined’ to speak out more this year
- Reset? What reset? U.S.-Russia ties at worst since Cold War
- 9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
- D.C. elections board gives green light to marijuana legalization initiative
- Elephants can tell difference between human languages: study
A capsule look at majors played at Oak Hill
Event: U.S. Open.
Winner: Cary Middlecoff.
Margin: 1 shot.
Recap: Cary Middlecoff won his third and final major championship without ever breaking par in any of the rounds. He went into the final day two shots behind Peter Thomson and shot 70 in the third round to take a one-shot lead over Ben Hogan and Ted Kroll. Middlecoff closed with a 70, and then had to wait to see if it was enough. Hogan was going after a record fifth U.S. Open title. He was tied for the lead when he missed a 30-inch par putt on the 17th hole to slip one shot behind, and he failed to birdie the 18th. Julius Boros had a birdie putt on the 18th to force a playoff, but it rattled the cup and stayed out.
Quote: “Nobody wins the Open. It wins you.” _ Middlecoff.
Event: U.S. Open.
Winner: Lee Trevino.
An America drowning in red ink is the land of the free no more
- Inside the Beltway: A new interest in Rahm Emanuel for 2016?
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- David Jolly wins in Florida, GOP keeps swing district seat
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- Brennan: Russia 'absolutely' could invade eastern Ukraine
- House Democrats trying to force unemployment insurance vote
- White House touts leadership in handling of crisis in Ukraine, despite lack of results
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Atheists sue to remove 'Ground Zero Cross' from 9/11 museum
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to 'man up' in horse carriage fight
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again