- Blame Bush: 5 years later, that’s still the mantra, pollsters find
- Dutch prostitutes demand same retirement benefits as soccer stars
- John McCain to Harry Reid: I’ll ‘kick the crap’ out of you
- Dogs that talk: Researchers seek $10K for ‘No More Woof’ technology
- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay quip
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
Nancy Pelosi quietly raises popularity rating; poll respondents are not so sweet on politicians
Question of the Day
What’s Nancy Pelosi doing right?
While the other top congressional leaders are fading, the House minority leader and former speaker is on the rise, according to the latest Quinnipiac University Thermometer poll, which shows the California Democrat is gaining popularity as one of the nation’s top political figures.
The “warmth rating” for Speaker John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican, has tumbled from more than 51 in 2011 to less than 37 since he ascended to the top House job. The rating for Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, has slid 1 point, and the number for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Kentucky Republican, has dropped more than 7 points.
Mrs. Pelosi defies the trend, rising from 32.9 to 38.4 and going from last to first among the four congressional leaders.
“She’s keeping her head down and her caucus focused as the House Republicans self-destruct before our eyes,” said Jim Manley, a senior director at Quinn Gillespie & Associates who was a longtime aide to top Senate Democrats.
Quinnipiac’s poll, which asks voters to rate politicians on a scale of zero to 100 based on how warm they feel toward the person, underscores the self-destruction.
Mr. Boehner’s slide of more than 14 points eclipses the combined drops for Mr. Reid, from 34.8 to 33.8, and Mr. McConnell, from 45.2 to 37.5.
The low ratings are nothing new. Poll after poll shows voters unhappy with Congress.
Indeed, Congress left town last week for a five-week summer recess having accomplished little in July.
Despite being in session for more than 100 hours during the July work period, the Senate passed just one of its own bills, though it did clear eight House bills.
The House didn’t pass a single Senate bill in July but cleared 26 of its own.
House Democrats’ campaign arm began running radio ads this week blasting their Republican counterparts for leaving for “a five-week taxpayer-funded vacation.”
Mrs. Pelosi remains the best-known of the congressional leaders — almost all voters had an opinion about her — but also the most polarizing.
While Democrats give her a 64.2 percent warmth rating, the best among the four leaders, self-identified Republicans score her at 19.8, the lowest of the group.
Mr. Obama tops all of the congressional leaders at 47.6 percent, though that, too, is a tumble from the lofty 56.5 he notched two years ago, as he was in the middle of sparring with Mr. Boehner over spending.
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Stephen Dinan can be reached at email@example.com.
- Border Patrol helps smuggle illegal immigrant children into the U.S.
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- IRS pays tax cheats hundreds of millions of dollars
- John Boehner demands Senate action on House jobs bills
- Top Democrats reject court ruling over NSA spying on Americans
Latest Blog Entries
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- Duck Dynasty Phil Robertson suspended indefinitely for gay quip
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- In court filing, NCAA denies legal duty to protect athletes
- Bill Gates: The Secret Santa disguised as a 'friendly fellow' on Reddit
- Obamacare 'pajamas boy' gets roundly mocked
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
- John McCain to Harry Reid: Ill kick the crap out of you
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Find the latest news and happening that effect those in the Washington D.C., Northern Virginia and Maryland Metro region.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
The cold hard truth about politics in America today and the state of this once great nation.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow