- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
New dad Mahan back to golf at PGA Championship
Question of the Day
“Usually Twitter, they tell me how much I suck all the time and how dumb I am, so I figured somebody would say, `You’re an idiot. You didn’t know what you’re doing. You can’t throw away (a potential win),’” he said. “But I didn’t see that.”
“Maybe,” he added, “I didn’t look far enough down.”
But Mahan isn’t really surprised by the response. He figures most everyone can relate to his situation.
“I think people are just ready for a great story in sports,” he said.
The 31-year-old Mahan is now looking to write a great sports story on the course. He played in the last group at the previous two majors but couldn’t put together a strong enough final round either time.
Mahan shot 75 on Sunday at the U.S. Open to tie for fourth, four strokes behind Justin Rose. At the British, he shot another 75 that left him tied for ninth, six strokes back of Phil Mickelson.
“I can’t really point to one thing,” Mahan said. “I just know that I’ve played exactly how I wanted to play, and I didn’t let the situation kind of overrun me, and I had a great time doing it. Those types of experiences are just invaluable to have. I feel very excited and encouraged about what I’ve done and excited about this week.”
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq