- 1,000 firefighters called to battle stubborn Big Sur wildfire
- Black Friday brouhaha: Millions of Target shoppers hit by credit card theft
- Britain orders airplane to rescue citizens from violent South Sudan
- Mega Millions winner emerges as Georgia mom, in ‘disbelief’
- ‘Duck Dynasty’ Phil Robertson suspended ‘indefinitely’ for gay comments
- John Podesta eats crow: ‘I apologize to Speaker Boehner’
- U.S., China race to finish line on ‘invisibility cloak’
- Obama ‘cavalier’ in hiding foreign aid order, judge rules
- Prince Charles: Muslims are driving Christians from Mideast through persecution
- Gitmo’s first commander: Close the prison down
Late fees: Taxpayers foot the hefty bill for Obama’s talk-show tour
Question of the Day
The talk show appearances usually require presidential travel, which dovetails with Mr. Obama’s status as one of the most-traveled presidents in history. The National Taxpayers Union released a study that found Mr. Obama trails only George H.W. Bush among postwar U.S. leaders in the amount of travel.
“Furthermore, President Obama’s tendency to take more trips that are shorter in duration, make him likelier (after adjusting for obvious factors like inflation) to have bigger bills (air travel, security detail, planning) than his predecessors,” the NTU report stated.
The watchdog group said the full cost of Mr. Obama’s travel is “difficult to pin down” because of “opaque reporting by government sources on such expenses.”
“As it stands now, taxpayers are shelling out untold millions with little opportunity for oversight,” said study author Michael Tasselmyer. “No matter who is in office, Americans should have the facts they need to have a rational conversation on the merits and affordability of a chief executive’s journeys.”
“This is still a hard fight,” Mr. Obama said. “It’s still tough, and we’re still needed.”
The president, whose claims that al Qaeda is “on the run” are being questioned because of reports of another plot by the terrorist network, said U.S. troops have nearly finished the job in Afghanistan. More than 320 Marines based at Camp Pendleton have been killed in theater.
“Because of you, the 9/11 generation, we are accomplishing what we set out to do,” the president said. “The core of al Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan is on the way to defeat. We are going to make sure that Afghanistan is never again a source of attacks against our country.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Dave Boyer is a White House correspondent for The Washington Times. A native of Allentown, Pa., Boyer worked for the Philadelphia Inquirer from 2002 to 2011 and also has covered Congress for the Times. He is a graduate of Penn State University. Boyer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fake signer near Obama at Mandela ceremony once charged with murder, rape
- Obama backs mayors' call for more federal money, higher wage
- Obama and family holiday in Hawaii — again
- White House denies 'highly irresponsible' Iran spy story
- Senate's filibuster rule change opens floodgates for Obama nominees
Latest Blog Entries
- White House condemns execution of uncle of North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un
- Obamas to observe moment of silence for Sandy Hook shooting victims
- Boehner formally invites Obama for State of the Union address
- White House downplays concerns over phony sign-language interpreter
- Joe Biden signs condolence book for Nelson Mandela at D.C. embassy
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Fourth Amendment says Obama is not at liberty to collect metadata
- U.S. Army mulls wiping out memory of Robert E. Lee, 'Stonewall' Jackson
- Half of America strips religion from Christmas
- Gov't wasted $30 billion on 'pillownauts,' crystal goblets -- buying human urine!
- BOLTON: Nero in the White House
- Sen. Max Baucus: Obamas choice for China ambassador
- Obama's own panel rips NSA spying on phone calls of Americans
- President gets budget win -- but only by staying out of negotiations
- Armed response, not restrictive gun laws, brought swift end to school shooting
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- NAPOLITANO: NSA spies pick up interference from the Constitution
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
Right-brain investing in a left-brain world. You can do it. I can help.
News and views on the Civil War.
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow