- Rep. Tim Murphy: GOP knew HealthCare.gov would be an ‘unmitigated disaster’
- Political speak: Planned Parenthood dumps ‘pro-choice’ for ‘women’s health’
- U.S. attorney warns Cuomo not to interfere with anti-corruption probes
- Investigators reach Ukraine jet crash site
- Ohio gives Obama a thumbs down; Hillary Clinton tops GOP all-stars: poll
- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics: State Department
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Pass the Taiwan Policy Act
Question of the Day
Kudos to the House Foreign Affairs Committee for unanimously approving the Taiwan Policy Act on Aug. 1 to strengthen and clarify U.S.-Taiwan relations. The bill was introduced by Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Florida Republican, and several co-chairmen of the Congressional Taiwan Caucus.
The act would authorize the president to accept a letter of request for F-16C/D jets, encourage Cabinet-level visits, permit meetings between high-level officials in all executive departments and allow the Taipei Economic and Cultural Representative Office and the American Institute in Taiwan to display their respective flags. It also calls for completion of the Trade and Investment Framework Agreements (TIFA), seeks the negotiation of a free-trade agreement with Taiwan and supports meaningful participation for Taiwan in relevant U.N. organizations. In addition, it seeks to ensure participation for Taiwan in the International Civil Aviation Organization so that Taiwan may contribute to the success of a global strategy to address aviation-security threats based on effective international cooperation.
Although U.S. relations with Taiwan are stronger than ever, Taiwan still faces a precarious situation as North Korea remains unpredictable, and there is a crisis of maritime and territorial disputes in the South China Sea. Our relationship with Taiwan is a cornerstone of foreign policy in the region. I strongly urge the House and Senate to seriously consider and pass this critically important bill at the earliest opportunity.
Overseas Community Affairs Council
Potomac Falls, Va.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- GOP report sees ties between rich donors, green 'nonprofits'
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens