- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
James Lee DiMaggio, kidnap suspect, booby-trapped car with bomb, police say
Question of the Day
It’s day six in the search for a 16-year-old girl who is believed to have been abducted by a family friend who is accused of killing her mother and setting fire to their home. And police warned Friday: James Lee DiMaggio, 40, may have booby-trapped his get-away car with a bomb.
Mr. DiMaggio is wanted on charges of murder and arson. He is accused of killing Christina Anderson, 44, and burning the family home, located about 65 miles outside San Diego, on Sunday night.
Emergency responders also found remains they say belong to a child, but it’s too soon to tell if those remains are the body of Hannah’s 8-year-old brother, Ethan. But the boy hasn’t been seen or heard from since the fire.
“That is kind of a working theory, that it may be something of a motivator,” Capt. Fraser said.
Mr. DiMaggio was a family friend for years. Brett Anderson, the father, recently appeared on television to appeal to Mr. DiMaggio to let his daughter go and to Hannah, to run as soon as she had the chance.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- David Duchovny draws ire with pro-Russia beer ad
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Sarah Palin Channel makes online debut as counter to mainstream media
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq