- The Washington Times - Thursday, December 12, 2013

Twenty people in Madagascar have died from the bubonic plague in the last week, giving way to fears of a possible outbreak, officials said.

More than 20 others suspected of being infected are receiving treatment, The Associated Press reported.

Madagascar’s Health Ministry said the outbreak is not yet confirmed pending analyses of samples by the country’s Pasteur Institute research facility, the report said.

The plague killed millions in Europe in the Middle Ages but is now extremely rare and can be treated.