- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to President Clinton, book claims
- Sarah Palin to campaign for Senate candidate Ben Sasse in Nebraska
- Boise business entices customers to come break stuff — ‘recreational destruction’
- Fired Yahoo exec’s $60 million golden parachute may be a record
- Arkansas gynecologist snapped nude photos of patients, police say
- Anthony Weiner on his current sexting habits: ‘None of your business’
- Producers eye Capitol Hill for latest reality TV hit
Jurgen Klinsmann to coach U.S. national team through 2018
Klinsmann agreed to a four-year contract extension through 2018, the U.S. Soccer Federation said on Thursday.
Coach since July 2011, his new deal gives him the additional title of USSF technical director.
“One of the reasons we hired Jurgen as our head coach was to advance the program forward, and we’ve seen the initial stages of that happening on the field and also off the field in various areas,” USSF President Sunil Gulati said in a statement. “In the past two years he has built a strong foundation from the senior team down to the youth teams, and we want to continue to build upon that success.”
“I am very fortunate to continue the work we started more than two and half years ago,” Klinsmann said in a statement. “The role of technical director is a huge challenge and also a huge opportunity as we look to keep connecting the dots to the youth national teams, coaching education, the development academy and the grassroots efforts in this country.”
After winning the 1990 World Cup with West Germany and the 1996 European Championship with Germany, Klinsmann retired as a player in 1998 and moved to California.
Now 49, Klinsmann coached Germany from 2004-06, leading the team to a third-place finish at home in the 2006 World Cup and then quit. He coached Bayern Munich in the 2008-09 season.
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Brewer signs 1 of 4 pro-gun bills passed Wednesday
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.