- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
- Covered California reports more than 200K in overtime Obamacare sign-ups
- Thanks, Chuck: Hagel says U.S. sending Ukraine sleeping mats, helmets
- HUMPRHIES: The Liberal Bully of the Week is …
- Secret Service threatened to kill Mr. Met if he got close to Clinton, mascot claims
Wizards rally from 15 down only to fall to Hawks at buzzer in overtime
ATLANTA — Pero Antic made the game-winning inbounds pass.
Al Horford said all he had to do was make the catch near the basket and then shoot a soft jumper. All in 1.8 seconds.
Just like in practice.
Horford matched his career high with 34 points, including a jumper as time expired in overtime, and the Atlanta Hawks recovered after blowing a 15-point lead in the fourth quarter to beat the Washington Wizards 101-99 on Friday night.
“We work on that in practice,” Horford said. “We had three options: Me, Paul (Millsap) or Kyle (Korver). I think they overplayed both of those guys. (Antic) gave me a great pass.”
With the game tied at 99, Antic threw the high pass over other players to Horford, who hit a short fallaway over Washington’s Trevor Booker as the buzzer sounded. A video review confirmed the shot beat the buzzer.
“It was supposed to be a lob for a dunk,” Horford said. “As soon as I got it, I shot it.”
Booker, who led Washington with 24 points and 14 rebounds, said he thought he could intercept the pass.
“It hurts,” Booker said. “I thought I could get the ball and it went over my head.
“(Horford) actually fumbled it at first and then knocked it down. I didn’t even get a chance to really contest it.”
Millsap and Korver had 16 points for Atlanta. Horford grabbed 15 rebounds.
The Hawks took their 11th straight home win in the series.
Korver’s 3-pointer gave Atlanta a 95-93 lead in overtime. After Teague had two baskets for Atlanta, each answered by Booker, Washington called a timeout with 11 seconds remaining in the extra period. John Wall’s penetration and pass set up Booker’s tying layup with 1.8 seconds remaining.
Wall, quiet most of the night, had 11 points in the fourth period and finished with 13 while shooting only 6 of 22. Martell Webster had 15 points.
“We just gave this game away,” Wall said, adding his fourth-quarter shots were “the same shots I took in the first half, I just didn’t make them. I struggled.”
By John R. Bolton
Reality calls for attaching Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan
- Joe Biden's first Instagram pic mocked as shill for sunglass ad
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Removal of military gear limits options for U.S., NATO in Ukraine
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- 'Culture of intimidation' seen in Nevada ranch standoff
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- CURL: The state of the Union worse than you thought
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- Cliven Bundy's Nevada ranch wrecked by retreating feds
- IRS emails reveal discussion with Justice about suing nonprofits for election activities
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.