- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Paris-bound flight grounded over bomb threat in Venezuela
Question of the Day
A Paris-bound Air France plane was grounded in Caracas, Venezuela, on Saturday after authorities determined it may have been targeted by terrorists.
Venezuela and French officials did not offer details about the earlier tip that a terrorist group was possibly planning to plant an explosive device on the plane and detonate it in midair, The Associated Press reported.
“We don’t want to speculate on the motives because the information comes directly from French intelligence services,” said Venezuelan Interior Minister Miguel Rodriguez Torres, adding that 60 technicians, bomb experts and a canine team would search the plane before it is flown again.
Passengers preparing to board Air France Flight 385 on Saturday evening said they were told at the last minute that it was being delayed so that the Airbus A340-300 aircraft could be checked, AP reported. No reason was given.
“We only learned reading Twitter that it could’ve been a bomb,” passenger Jesus Arandia said.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Pro-Palestinian protesters stage 'die-in' outside Seattle Boeing offices
- Mass. superintendent fined for plagiarizing graduation speeches
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
- Diapered toddler crashes Jeep, runs home to watch cartoons
- Chicago-area cop kills dog in front of 6-year-old owner, witnesses say
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Allowing states to innovate could reduce dependency on bureaucracy
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Report: 40% of weapons sent to Afghanistan are unaccounted for
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq