- Obama takes aim at ‘corporate deserters’
- Dick’s Sporting Goods lays off 478 PGA golf pros
- Senators: Cease-fire must allow Israel to defend against rockets, tunnels
- Sierra Leone doctor fighting Ebola catches disease
- Iraq welcomes Russian fighter jets, helicopter gunships into ISIL fight
- John McCain laments: Obama’s ‘self-pity … is really kind of sad’
- GOP offer to fix VA gives $10 billion in emergency funds
- Paul Ryan offers to repair U.S. economic safety net with a single grant stream
- Kim Jong-un builds bond with Putin: $250M Russia-backed addition to key port opens
- Pope Francis meets Meriam Ibrahim, a Sudanese woman sentenced to death
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: ‘Fundamental’ change: Killing Christmas
Question of the Day
On Dec. 15, a friend and I went to a “Christmas” concert held at the Marine Barracks in Washington. This band, “the President’s Own,” regularly performs at the White House. There was no National Anthem sung, and not one Christmas song played — not even one of the secular variety. The audience was wished “Happy Holidays” after they were regaled by the Big Band music of Duke Ellington. While very well performed and pleasant to hear, it was most assuredly not about Christmas.
I thought perhaps after the intermission we would hear some holiday fare, but a jazzy Duke Ellington version of “The Nutcracker Suite” had to suffice. This was not our parents’ Christmas concert, or even a concert of a couple of years ago. In fact I’ve never seen anything less Christmas-like. There were no festive decorations, either.
I was never so disappointed in a Christmas concert. In past years, the music has been appropriately festive, and all the wonderful Christmas carols, often with audience participating, were performed. Apparently, this is a thing of the past in today’s politically correct military.
Is the goal here to eradicate America’s religious heritage, to be replaced with secular socialism? Perhaps that is what this administration meant by “fundamentally transforming” the country.
TWT Video Picks
By Michael Widlanski
Leveling the battlefield to aid terrorists enables evil to fight on
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Norway expects imminent 'concrete threat' from ISIL terrorists 'within days'
- State Department indicates Nouri al-Maliki's days numbered as Iraq prime minister
- Evidence shows Russia firing artillery into Ukraine: Pentagon
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Calif. dolls were meant to spread cheer, not chill
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report