- Top federal judge uses pizza to explain complex Obamacare situation
- Obama, Biden overhaul job training programs
- Drought-plagued Californians turn to paint to keep lawns green
- ISIL now forcing Iraqi shopkeepers to veil mannequins in Mosul
- 11 parents of Nigeria’s abducted girls die
- Genetic mapping triggers new hope on schizophrenia
- Turkish P.M. Erdogan won’t speak to Obama, but he’ll take calls from Biden
- Israel’s ambassador praises Obama, slams Human Rights Watch report
- Md. parents accused of locking up autistic twin sons
- Dancing Kim Jong-un video sparks North Korea fury
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Nix fighter jet, keep veterans’ benefits
Question of the Day
The budget deal doesn’t give anyone 100 percent of what they want (which is why it’s called a compromise), but why single out veterans and make them give up their benefits so we can fix the budget (“This is no bargain,” Comment & Analysis, Dec. 12)?
If leaders would instead cancel federal programs that we can’t afford and aren’t working, it could put the country on sounder financial footing and make sure we honor our national commitments to veterans. For example, the Pentagon spends twice as much annually on the Joint Strike Fighter as the proposed deal would save by cutting federal pensions, including those going to our military. The JSF program is more than seven years behind schedule and many billions of dollars over budget. It has struggled through one technical failure after another, culminating in a recent Pentagon report identifying hundreds of flaws that will likely cause even more delays and cost overruns. Worse yet, defense experts and even JSF test pilots have serious questions about the aircraft’s ability to survive combat against today’s fighter jets, not to mention tomorrow’s.
The bravery and sacrifice of our nation’s veterans are worth thousands of Joint Strike Fighters. Our federal budget should reflect that by fully funding veteran benefits.
Veterans and Military Families for Progress
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- Obamacare dealt massive setback by federal appeals court
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Rep. Jared Polis' anti-fracking crusade riles Colorado
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Hamas terrorists wear Israeli army uniforms to ambush soldiers in Gaza
- LYONS: Small-arms treaty, big Second Amendment threat
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- Obama family set to buy $4.25M desert home in California: report
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way