- Israel says it’s downed drone along southern coast
- Despite offensive, Gaza rockets still hit Israel
- Extra-time goal gives Germany World Cup title over Argentina
- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Mandela’s not-so-peaceful past
Question of the Day
David Keene imagines that without Nelson Mandela, "South Africa could easily have taken the course that destroyed what was once Rhodesia and is today Zimbabwe" ("Nelson Mandela's legacy," Commentary, Dec. 9). I remember the State Department's No. 2 official in the Africa division, Jeff Davidow, prematurely crowing, "Zimbabwe is a success." South Africa today appears to be on the same downward path as Zimbabwe.
While the article credits Mandela for South Africa being "a successful nation with a bright future," the reality is that South Africa is beset with a wave of crime (it is the murder capital of the world), corruption, urban decay and civil unrest. It also has the largely unreported phenomenon of mass murders of Afrikaner farmers at the hands of blacks who were told by the ANC that they would be given white properties once the ANC took power — a phenomenon not unlike what Zimbabwe's farmers experienced under longtime President Robert Mugabe. This is Mandela's legacy.
Mandela's ANC had a history of terrorism and brutality with the gruesome practice of necklacing, burning victims alive with a gasoline-filled tire around their bodies. It was used as a campaign weapon against rival blacks to achieve one-party rule. Mandela, as head of his party, cannot be exonerated from the vicious actions of his party henchmen. Mandela's party campaigned hand-in-glove with the South African Communist Party, and any black who spoke out against communism was labeled a puppet of apartheid.
In the U.S. Senate in the mid-1980s, senators who opposed sanctions against South Africa were typically denounced as supporting racism. South Africa at the time boasted a free press and a free judiciary, rarities in sub-Saharan Africa. The ANC campaign of terrorism and "liberation before education" was meant to undermine support for ongoing reforms and racial integration and to achieve a radical overthrow of the existing regime.
The "mainstream" media that falsely equates Mandela to Gandhi similarly marketed President Obama to the U.S. public as a racial healer, ignoring his Frank Marshall Davis mentoring and his ties to domestic terrorist Bill Ayers and Mr. Ayers' wife, Bernardine Dohrn, who made the FBI's Ten Most Wanted list.
TWT Video Picks
By Robert N. Tracci
Congress must use its appropriations power to secure the border
Get Breaking Alerts
- DOJ investigates Nebraska parade float critical of Obama
- Agency scrubs Malia Obama photos at White House's request: report
- A 'new Cold War': China's top paper warns of 'slippery slope' towards conflict with U.S.
- Violent gang MS-13 taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Emeryville, Calif., police chief: Guns aren't for defense
- New York City creates ID card so 500K illegal immigrants can get services
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- CURL: The hypocrisy of Obama's 15-day Vineyard vacation
- Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi formerly a U.S. captive
- Germany wins World Cup title on Mario Goetze goal in extra time
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: How many boondoggles to break the bank?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: The problem is unenforced borders
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Where are condolences for Jewish teens' deaths?
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama welcomes illegals, ignores Americans
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obama has no intention of repatriating illegals