- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
Column: Another ‘statement’ game from Manning
Question of the Day
Old pro that he is, Manning celebrated briefly with teammates, then spread around the credit the same way he keeps his receivers happy. He praised past great Dan Marino, current rival Tom Brady, nearly every coach on staff by name, his receivers, running backs, offensive line and defense, as well as the doctors and trainers who helped him heal and then recover from four neck surgeries in the last few years.
Among the people who wondered whether he’d ever touch those old heights was Manning himself. If this statement wasn’t enough, well, check back in when the league’s Most Valuable Player award is announced.
“I think it’s well documented that this is the second chapter of my career and didn’t know what to expect off that injury and new team, new players and new physical state after an injury. So I had no idea what to expect. … When something like this happens,” Manning said, “it just reminds me even more of how grateful and thankful I am for a lot of people that have helped me during this second chapter.”
Jim Litke is a national sports columnist for The Associated Press. Write to him at jlitke(at)ap.org and follow him at Twitter.com/JimLitke.
By Scott Pinsker
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Romney would win popular vote in rematch against Obama: CNN poll
- White House defends Kerry failure to broker Middle East cease-fire
- D.C. plans to seek stay of order striking down ban on handguns in public
- Islamic State opens 'marriage bureau' for single jihadists
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq