U.N. to nearly double peace-keepers in South Sudan as violence explodes

Mass graves reportedly found in war-torn nation

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

The carnage in South Sudan has reached new heights, international officials say, after at least three mass graves were discovered Tuesday in the war-torn African nation, the brief existence of which is now threatened by growing political and ethnic conflict.

With tens of thousands seeking refuge from the fighting, the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday unanimously voted to nearly double the size of its peacekeeping force on the ground in the world’s youngest country. South Sudan was born less than three years ago.


SEE ALSO: U.N. in South Sudan denies report of mass grave


Tuesday’s vote was called at the direct urging of American officials such as U.N. Ambassador Samantha Power, who told the international body this week that the dire situation “demands urgent leadership to avoid further bloodshed and to restore stability.”

U.N. officials reportedly witnessed at least 14 bodies dumped into a mass grave in the city of Bentiu; at least two other mass graves have been reported in Juba, South Sudan’s capital.

The violence has intensified in recent days and has become ethnic in nature, international officials said. Fighting broke out after forces loyal to the country’s former vice president, Riek Machar, tried to overthrow sitting South Sudanese President Salva Kiir. The two men are longtime rivals.

The coup failed, but the factions remain engaged in battle. In recent days, the fighting has grown from clashes between political forces to near all-out war between the Dinka and Nuer ethnic groups.

“There is a palpable fear among civilians of both Dinka and Nuer backgrounds that they will be killed on the basis of their ethnicity,” U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said in a statement. “There need to be clear statements and clear steps from all those in positions of political and military control that human rights violations will not be tolerated and those responsible will be brought to justice.”

U.N. officials also warned that “attacks of this kind can be the precursors to more widespread crimes,” a grim reminder of the brutal ethnic violence in Rwanda in 1994. That conflict claimed the lives of more than 800,000, according to international estimates.

The U.N. vote is a key step by the international community to prevent the death toll in South Sudan from reaching that level.

The U.N. now plans to send more than 5,000 additional peacekeeping troops to South Sudan. More than 7,500 troops, including nearly 50 U.S. military personnel, already are on the ground.

The U.S. forces were sent at President Obama’s order to protect assets such as the U.S. Embassy in Juba.

It took little time for the American forces to come under fire in South Sudan. Four were injured last week when their helicopter came under fire during an evacuation mission.

After the incident, Mr. Obama told congressional leaders he is prepared to commit more American assets if the fighting worsens.

“As I monitor the situation in South Sudan, I may take further action to support the security of U.S. citizens, personnel and property, including our embassy, in South Sudan,” the president said.

It’s unclear how many have died in the fighting. The U.N. says more than 80,000 have been displaced, and American forces — along with those of other nations around the world — have been working to evacuate their own citizens.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks