- George Zimmerman signs autographs at Orlando gun show
- GOP lawmaker faces fire for NBA crime tweet
- Taliban vow to ‘use all force’ to disrupt Afghan elections
- Atheists sue to remove ‘Ground Zero Cross’ from 9/11 museum
- Bishop in Aleppo: ‘We Christians live in fear in Syria’
- Oscar Pistorius vomits during graphic testimony
- Toronto Mayor Rob Ford flubs daylight saving time advice: ‘Turn your clocks back’
- Americans don’t support sending U.S. troops to Ukraine
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt ‘Boss Hogg’ town from map
- N.C. math whiz to unveil secret of March Madness picks
A’s acquire closer Jim Johnson from O’s
The teams announced the trade late Monday.
Balfour became a free agent after the season and is expected to command a multiyear deal. While Beane expressed confidence he could fill the ninth-inning duties from within, he opted for a trade _ a common December practice for the GM and low-budget club.
Johnson, who led the majors with 51 saves in 2012, earned $6.5 million in base salary this year. He also made a $25,000 bonus for finishing at least 55 games, leading the majors with 63.
Also Monday, free-agent left-hander Scott Kazmir agreed to terms on a $22 million, two-year contract with Oakland, a person with knowledge of the negotiations said.
The deal is pending a physical. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the team hadn’t made a formal announcement.
The A’s reached agreement on a $600,000, one-year contract with right-hander Fernando Rodriguez. He was one of nine arbitration eligible players _ and all were tendered contracts for the 2014 season, including first baseman Daric Barton. Barton is the team’s longest-tenured player and will provide infield depth.
Baltimore on Monday agreed to a $1,025,000, one-year contract with outfielder Nolan Reimold and an $850,000, one-year deal with outfielder Steve Pearce.
Taxpayers must pay the freight for over-budget train projects
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Rand Paul wins 2014 CPAC straw poll, Ted Cruz finishes a distant second
- CURL: Today's GOP really is Reagan's 'Big Tent' party
- As Crimea falls, Obama takes Key Largo golf vacation, Biden hits Virgin Islands
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- Arrest made in Ohio bar shooting that killed 3
- SAUERBREY: Taxing Marylanders until they flee
- Bill Clinton poses for photo with Bunny Ranch prostitutes
- Florida lawmakers move to wipe corrupt 'Boss Hogg' town from map
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014
Winter storm hits states — again