- Malaysia Airlines pilots sometimes left cockpit door unlocked: U.S. businessman
- PHILLIPS: The benefits of defying ‘common wisdom’
- Judge strikes down Arkansas abortion law — nation’s toughest — as unconstitutional
- Court: Tenn. must recognize 3 same-sex marriages
- Russia claims to have downed U.S. drone over Crimea region; Pentagon denies
- John Daly shoots 90 at PGA Tour event: ‘I’m falling apart’
- Police: Man arrested in West Virginia may be linked to Alexandria killings
- Smile: Equipping cops with body-mounted cameras gains steam in Calif., N.Y.
- Obama to sign bill cutting taxpayer money for party conventions
- Half of Americans worried about second Cold War: poll
Inside the Beltway: Public frets that U.S. global prestige is fading
• 81 percent say protecting the jobs of American workers is a top policy priority.
• 73 percent say preventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction is a top priority.
• 61 percent say reducing dependence on imported energy sources is a top priority.
• 57 percent cite combatting international drug trafficking, 48 percent cite reducing illegal immigration.
• 37 percent cite addressing global climate change, 33 percent cite defending human rights in other countries.
• 23 percent cite improving living standards overseas, 18 percent cite promoting democracy in other nations.
Source: Pew Research Center’s “America’s Place in the World” survey of 2,003 U.S. adults conducted Oct. 30 to Nov. 6 and released Tuesday.
• Tough talk, maudlin sentiments to jharperwashingtontimes.com.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Inside the Beltway: And the password is panic
- O'Done with It: Irish Americans protest 'negative stereotyping' as bawdy drunks
- Inside the Beltway: Can Pope Francis soothe a savage Congress?
- Reason No. 1 to behave: Nine-out-of 10 Americans condemn their rude politicians
- Inside the Beltway: Oh behave — the public condemns political incivility
Latest Blog Entries
- A startling 20 percent of Democratic lawmakers already endorse Hillary Clinton for president
- Hey food police: calling obesity a 'disease' is actually a health risk
- Cheese and an 'enhanced experience': White House goes showbiz on the State of the Union address
- Cruz calls it a 'circus': the State of the Union spectacle begins
- Half of American fans say God and 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events
TWT Video Picks
By David A. Clarke Jr.
Blame Washington's intelligence failure, not lack of police
- CURL: We completely overhauled American health care to insure 4.2 million people?
- California gun store owner refuses to hand over customer list
- Firefighters discover church's Bible in Harlem rubble following gas explosion
- Bill Maher: God a 'psychotic mass murderer' who 'drowns babies'
- Crimea votes in favor of secession, U.S. rejects
- McCain: 'Russia is a gas station masquerading as a country'
- College group's diversity event canceled after excluding white people
- Trust me: Obama promises new overtime rules will be 'easier for everyone'
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- EXCLUSIVE: FBI blocked in corruption probe involving Sens. Reid, Lee
Chaos as Manhattan building explodes
Pope Francis meets his 'mini-me'
Celebrity deaths in 2014