- The Washington Times - Monday, December 30, 2013

The Obama administration says more than 1 million people have signed up for private insurance through the federal marketplace, a December-heavy surge in enrollment following the disastrous launch of HealthCare.gov that began in October and bled into November.

“December enrollment so far is over 7 times that of October and November,” said Marilyn Tavenner, administration of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, in a blog post on Sunday. “In part, this was because we met our marks on improving HealthCare.gov: The site supported 83,000 concurrent users on December 23rd alone.”

The surge in enrollment — 975,000 sign-ups in December alone — was also due to a rush to secure coverage in time for the new year. Some Americans faced a potential coverage gap post-Jan. 1, after losing plans that did not meet Obamacare’s coverage requirements.

The 1-million milestone is good news for the administration, and it does not include the hundreds of thousands who have enrolled in the 15 state-run portals, as of last count.

But the tally lags behind the pace needed to grab an estimated 7 million enrolled in private coverage byMarch 31, the last day of open enrollment.

Mrs. Tavenner said that’s not a problem just yet.

“We are in the middle of a sustained, six-month open enrollment period that we expect to see enrollment ramp up over time, much like other historic implementation efforts we’ve seen in Massachusetts and Medicare Part D,” she said.

Copyright © 2016 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide