- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Constitution far from ‘flawed’
At President Obama’s swearing-in ceremony, he pledged under oath, “I will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.” Mr. Obama as been quoted calling the Constitution an outdated, flawed document and saying it reflects a blind spot where race is concerned.
Mr. Obama is supposedly a constitutional lawyer, but I feel the need to remind the president of a couple of important facts regarding the Constitution. The Founding Fathers knew the Constitution was not perfect and that circumstances would obviously change over time. They brilliantly penned an amendment process, which can be found in Article V.
The signing of the Constitution took place on Sept. 17, 1787. At that time in our history, black Americans had very few rights; many were slaves, which was a horrid, shameful situation. In January 1865, the 13th Amendment was put into effect, finally prohibiting slavery. On Feb. 3, 1870, the 15th Amendment guaranteed black Americans the right to vote. On Aug. 18, 1920, via the 19th Amendment, women finally won the right to vote.
The amendment process requires a two-thirds majority in both the House of Representatives and the Senate. This co-called “flawed” document is anything but.
Mr. Obama defies the Constitution and constantly breaks his oath to uphold and protect it. It looks to me like the amendment process was designed to correct some problems and provide flexibility in changing times.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz: Vulnerable Democrats must 'run their own race'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- EDITORIAL: Republicans finally fight back in phony 'war on women'
- WILLIAMS: Bill Maher, comedian or bigot?
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- NYT's David Brooks: Obama has 'manhood problem' in Middle East
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters