- Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch on Obamacare: ‘We will lose seats’ this November
- Syria to hold presidential election on June 3
- People will be safe at 118th Boston Marathon, Mayor Marty Walsh says
- Boy Scout, 12, killed by rolling tree during troop outing at Washington park
- South Korean president: Ferry crew actions ‘murderous’
- President Obama poised to grant clemency to nonviolent drug offenders: report
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet
- Kraft recalls 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer hot dogs over cheese error
- Boy Scouts boots church as host after gay leadership dispute
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s new book raises 2016 presidential speculation
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fossil-fuel divestment a moral issue
In her op-ed “A feel-good folly” (Dec. 23), which criticizes the D.C. Council’s proposal to take the District’s investments out of fossil-fuel companies, Paula R. Jackson misses the point of divestment. The leverage this movement aims to bring is not simply economic. It’s moral.
Ms. Jackson writes as if fossil-fuel companies — who financially support her organization, the American Association of Blacks in Energy — are somehow blameless despite everything we know about their contribution to climate pollution. She writes as though the working, poor and struggling families of the District and every state are somehow responsible for solving the climate crisis by themselves.
This is a basic issue of justice. The wealthiest corporations on Earth have the power to help solve the problems they have done so much to create. But recent research uncovered that these same companies spend nearly $1 billion a year to fight progress on climate change.
Ms. Jackson is mistaken on the status of divestment efforts in San Francisco. The San Francisco Employees’ Retirement System actually took a step toward selling off its fossil-fuel stocks, with a unanimous decision to advocate for the industry to change its practices and to further study divestment of its $16 billion fund from fossil fuels.
TWT Video Picks
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
Get Breaking Alerts
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Twitter blocks accounts critical of Turkish government
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- USAID documents cite Hillary Clinton in chaos of Afghan aid
- CURL: Shelly O first lady Michelle Obama comes in last
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Building a D.C. memorial for an endless war bumps into regulations
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds