- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Fossil-fuel divestment a moral issue
Question of the Day
In her op-ed “A feel-good folly” (Dec. 23), which criticizes the D.C. Council’s proposal to take the District’s investments out of fossil-fuel companies, Paula R. Jackson misses the point of divestment. The leverage this movement aims to bring is not simply economic. It’s moral.
Ms. Jackson writes as if fossil-fuel companies — who financially support her organization, the American Association of Blacks in Energy — are somehow blameless despite everything we know about their contribution to climate pollution. She writes as though the working, poor and struggling families of the District and every state are somehow responsible for solving the climate crisis by themselves.
This is a basic issue of justice. The wealthiest corporations on Earth have the power to help solve the problems they have done so much to create. But recent research uncovered that these same companies spend nearly $1 billion a year to fight progress on climate change.
Ms. Jackson is mistaken on the status of divestment efforts in San Francisco. The San Francisco Employees’ Retirement System actually took a step toward selling off its fossil-fuel stocks, with a unanimous decision to advocate for the industry to change its practices and to further study divestment of its $16 billion fund from fossil fuels.
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- PHILLIPS: Once-in-a-century stupidity
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'