- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
ACLU sues feds over telephone surveillance of Americans
Question of the Day
The American Civil Liberties Union filed a lawsuit against the federal government, alleging a variety of agencies have failed to properly provide documents that would reveal the scope of surveillance activities on Americans’ overseas telephone calls.
The suit, filed in federal court in Manhattan, charges the National Security Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Department of Defense, the Department of Justice and the Department of State with failing to uphold several Freedom of Information Act requests for surveillance-tied documents, Politico reported.
The ACLU is requesting in the court order for the agencies to give up the documents. Lawyers for the civil rights group think the documents will reveal just how the government goes about deciding which calls placed by Americans to overseas’ parties to monitor — and which to ignore, Politico reported.
The ACLU also seeks to learn what specific protections the government takes to ensure Americans’ civil rights aren’t trampled in the name of national security.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- David Duchovny draws ire with pro-Russia beer ad
- Tennessee storms ravage counties, wreck 10 homes
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Sarah Palin Channel makes online debut as counter to mainstream media
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq