A New York woman had quite the shock when her 7-year-old daughter chomped down on a 2-inch rusty nail baked right into the chocolate chip cookie her mother had bought at Panera Bread.
The woman bought the cookie from a Panera Bread restaurant at 1063 Post Road in Genesee County.
“The ‘twist shank’ style nail lacked a sharp point and is consistent with those used in the construction of wood pallets,” a Darien Police Department news release said. “The nail is approximately 2 inches in length and has a rusted appearance.”
The little girl was not injured.
An investigation of Panera Bread revealed that frozen cookie dough is shipped by a distributor to the local store, where it is then prepared.
“The Darien Panera Bread store immediately removed all cookies from their shelves following the incident,” the statement said.
The Darien Health Department conducted an inspection on Monday, and continued involvement is planned.
“At this time, there is no indication the nail was intentionally placed in the cookie and there are no other known victims,” health officials concluded.