Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case

Question of the Day

Should Congress make English the official language of the U.S.?

View results

TALLAHASSEE, FLA. (AP) - A lawyer for Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston says the Heisman hopeful is relieved he will not face charges in a sexual assault case and now even more focused on football.

Attorney Timothy Jansen said Thursday afternoon he had seen his client after the announcement and he was really happy. Jansen says Winston is absolutely innocent.

Earlier Thursday, State Attorney Willie Meggs said there was not enough evidence to pursue charges in the sex assault case against Winston. Meggs said the woman’s memory lapses of the events last December were problematic. She told police she had been drinking before the alleged assault took place.

Winston will play in the ACC championship game on Saturday and if the Seminoles win, they’ll play for the national title.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP’s earlier story is below.

Florida State quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexually assaulting a woman who accused him of raping her about a year ago, a prosecutor said Thursday.

State Attorney Willie Meggs made the announcement at a news conference, saying there was not enough evidence to win a conviction.

“After reviewing all the evidence in the case, we did not feel like we could meet that burden,” Meggs said.

A search warrant from January, released hours before the news conference, detailed the woman’s accusations for the first time. She told police she and friends had five to six shots at a bar and her “memory is very broken from that point forward.” She said she remembered being in a cab with a “non-descript” black man and going into an apartment where she was raped.

The woman didn’t identify Winston, who is black, until about a month after the alleged assault.

Winston, 19, has led the Seminoles to a No. 1 ranking and a shot at a national championship if they defeat Duke on Saturday.

Many Heisman voters were waiting to see whether Winston will be charged with a crime before casting their ballots. The deadline for ballots is Monday, and the trophy is awarded Dec. 14.

The details of the alleged rape were contained in a search warrant for cellphone records, including text messages. It was dated Jan. 16, six days after the woman identified Winston.

The warrant said she tried to fight the man off, and at some point, another man came into the room and told him to stop. But the two went into a bathroom “where he completed the act.”

Her next memory was of the suspect dressing her, putting her on a scooter and dropping her off at a campus intersection. She said she had no idea where the alleged assault took place.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Get Adobe Flash player