- Al Sharpton, Trayvon Martin’s parents rally against Fla. ‘stand your ground’ law
- Hillary Clinton campaign got illicit funds from D.C. scandal figure
- Obama administration backs off plan to cut prescription-drug program
- Tickets linked to stolen passports purchased by Iranian middleman
- More than 3,500 police planned for Boston Marathon
- Ottawa day care suspends 2-year-old for ‘outside’ cheese sandwich
- Liam Neeson tells NYC mayor to ‘man up’ in horse carriage fight
- Real-life Dr. Doolittle to reveal how to talk to animals
- Climate change could bring back smallpox, researchers say
- Shoe-bomb witness to speak from London at N.Y. trial
BOOK REVIEW: ‘Still Dreaming’
The rich anecdotes in this book show a political sophisticate who likes to get results. We see him being tough and loud, or pitiful and wheedling, whichever is likelier win the day. Be it noted, too, that the “immigrants’ rights agitator” sometimes lodges demands that overreach on purpose.
The tactic served him well in Chicago going toe to toe with Richard and Bill Daley. The then-mayor and his brother, rejecting what was outlandish, felt obliged to accept everything else Mr. Gutierrez wanted. The point is that in Washington, inside the councils of government, his fellow lawmakers may well see a cooler customer than the firebrand lately shown on television getting himself arrested at the Capitol to underscore the ill treatment of immigrants.
If the endless talks on immigration legislation come to a head, keep your eye on Mr. Gutierrez. He is “still dreaming” while also remaining extremely alert.
Freelance writer Lauren Weiner, a Chicago native, lives in Baltimore.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
TWT Video Picks
By David Keene
Conference showed that the values Reagan cherished still endure
Get Breaking Alerts
- FCC targets black conservative in TV station fight
- Kim Jong-un calls for execution of 33 Christians
- Hillary Clinton campaign received funds from Jeffrey Thompson
- Senate Democrats, Republicans spar over restoring unemployment benefits
- Sharyl Attkisson resigns from CBS after months of talks
- U.S. pilot scares off Iranians with 'Top Gun'-worthy stunt: 'You really ought to go home'
- DHS accused of holding U.S. citizen at airport, using emails to pry into her sex life
- Russias Putin nominated for Nobel Peace Prize
- 80 people publicly executed across North Korea for films, Bibles
- Mitch McConnell on beating tea party: 'We are going to crush them'
- EDITORIAL: Senate Democrats’ pointless all-night global warming talkathon
- EDITORIAL: Enforce the Law Act aims to hold Obama accountable
- EDITORIAL: Relief from 'homeowners association nightmares'
- EDITORIAL: Lawyers encouraging pursuit of jackpot justice
- EDITORIAL: As jobs vanish, Obama wants more of same