- Jesse Ventura suggests suit not over; HarperCollins could be next
- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Real Obamacare fix must be long-term
Question of the Day
As I was brushing my teeth this morning, I noticed that I had placed a large bottle on the toothpaste tube, accidentally squeezing paste onto the bathroom countertop. It got me thinking: How can we hope to put the mess that is Obamacare back inside its “tube”?
It took three years to get to this point, with one-sixth of the economy hit. Millions of health care plans have been canceled, and virtually no one can sign up for the exchanges. Those who have been able to do so may well have their identities stolen because the site is not secure. So just how do we put this back in the “tube”? Delay the mandate? That would push off fines the Internal Revenue Service isn’t even set up to collect, so it might look pretty, but it won’t fix anything. A repeal would be great, but what about 2014? And all those real people being hit by the fiasco are screaming at their elected officials to do something now.
Looking at the folks on Capitol Hill, I am reminded of an anthill I once knocked over just to see what would happen. I soon learned the definition of the term “reckless behavior,” because it happened to be a nest of fire ants, and I wound up with calamine lotion spread over my feet and legs.
Both Democrats and Republicans are being called upon to do something, and fast; but I’d advise for careful consideration. This “anthill” is Mt. Everest, and there isn’t enough calamine lotion in all the world to cover up the stings that will ensue if thoughtful, reflective debate and consideration aren’t taken before we decide on a fix. I think the American people will understand that something with 2,700 pages plus 13,000 pages of regulations will take some time to unravel. Our leaders should be honest and tell their constituents there’s really not much we can do in the short term.
In 2014, the toothpaste is out of the tube, and there’s no way to get it back inside. Let’s focus on what we can fix for 2015 and beyond.
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
Get Breaking Alerts
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Politics and corruption driving water woes
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Laws should target criminals, not the law-abiding
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Temple Mount is still Judaism's holiest site
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: If Israeli laid down its arms
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Stop silence on relocations of illegal aliens