- NYT’s David Brooks: Obama has ‘manhood problem’ in Middle East
- Ted Cruz thanks Obama for denying visas to terrorists
- Survivors recall chaos, fear in Everest avalanche
- General Mills apologizes for ‘right to sue’ confusion, reverses policy
- Dealer wanted in U.S. for art fraud nabbed in Spain
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Boxer Rubin ‘Hurricane’ Carter dies at 76
- Probe could complicate Rick Perry’s prospects
- Ukraine, Russia trade blame for eastern shootout
- Obamas head to church on Easter morning
LOVERRO: Squeaky clean Doug Fister latest piece in Nats’ personality shift
So, as Rizzo leaves for the Winter Meetings next week, it would seem that with the Fister trade in his pocket, most of his work is done. He needs to find himself a quality left-handed reliever, and then fine-tune the bullpen and bench, but the heavy lifting of acquiring a quality starter was done when he got Fister from the Detroit Tigers.
There’s one more thing that this Nationals squad could use for the 2014 season — an outlaw. Yes, a small but smart taste of the past. Someone who will jump out of the dugout and charge the mound when the Atlanta Braves are taking target practice on the Nationals’ hitters.
Doug Fister is a great guy and a terrific pitcher, and is a welcome addition to a team full of great guys and terrific talent. But there should be one place on the bench for one bad-ass.
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Bryce Harper-Mike Trout comparisons may be a career-long thing
- LOVERRO: On the Wizards' trip to Brazil, a miracle happened
- LOVERRO: Capitals' major challenge is finding someone who can win with Alex Ovechkin
- LOVERRO: Bo Belinsky, Sonny Liston share a cemetery - one found peace, the other didn't
- LOVERRO: Injured hand didn't keep Scott Christopher from a life of baseball and art
Latest Blog Entries
Women losing coverage under Obamacare, too
- Scalia to students on high taxes: At a certain point, 'perhaps you should revolt'
- Former Ranger breaks silence on Pat Tillman death: I may have killed him
- Special Forces' suicide rates hit record levels casualties of 'hard combat'
- Feds approve powdered alcohol; 'Palcohol' available later this year
- Army goes to war with National Guard, seizes Apache attack helicopters
- CHARLES: Holder's undermining of the law deserving of contempt
- U.S. Navy to turn seawater into jet fuel
- Harry Reid blasts Bundy ranch supporters as 'domestic terrorists'
- Justice at last: 'Evil woman' outed for grabbing girl's game ball
- EDITORIAL: More Lerner smoking-gun emails at IRS
Top 10 handguns in the U.S.