- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
- Driverless cars to hit the British streets by 2015
LOVERRO: Squeaky clean Doug Fister latest piece in Nats’ personality shift
Question of the Day
So, as Rizzo leaves for the Winter Meetings next week, it would seem that with the Fister trade in his pocket, most of his work is done. He needs to find himself a quality left-handed reliever, and then fine-tune the bullpen and bench, but the heavy lifting of acquiring a quality starter was done when he got Fister from the Detroit Tigers.
There’s one more thing that this Nationals squad could use for the 2014 season — an outlaw. Yes, a small but smart taste of the past. Someone who will jump out of the dugout and charge the mound when the Atlanta Braves are taking target practice on the Nationals’ hitters.
Doug Fister is a great guy and a terrific pitcher, and is a welcome addition to a team full of great guys and terrific talent. But there should be one place on the bench for one bad-ass.
• Thom Loverro is co-host of “The Sports Fix,” noon to 2 p.m. daily on ESPN 980 radio and espn980.com
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- LOVERRO: Redskins should be great before declaring greatness
- LOVERRO: Hall of Fame is one birthday present A-Rod will never unwrap
- LOVERRO: These are Bruce Allen's Washington Redskins now
- LOVERRO: CBS Sports leaves broadcasters hanging in Redskins name debate
- LOVERRO: Who are the men behind D.C. 2024 curtain?
Latest Blog Entries
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- Senate overcomes first filibuster of Obama's border-spending bill
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world