- The Washington Times - Thursday, December 5, 2013

A suicide bomber carting explosives in a car set off a firestorm at the defense ministry facility in Yemen, killing 15 soldiers and injuring at least 40.

Another dozen were killed when a separate carload of attackers arrived on scene within minutes and engaged in a gunfight with soldiers at the ministry, The Associated Press reported. The gunmen carried assault rifles, hand grenades and rocket-propelled grenades, and wore the uniforms of Yemen soldiers, AP said.

Their intent was to drive out the security members stationed at the ministry and take over the building, located in downtown Sanaa, AP reported.

Nobody’s claimed immediate responsibility — but it’s akin to an al Qaeda operation, officials said. The Defense Ministry sent out a short statement, confirming the attack took place but only specifying that “most” of those killed had been the attackers.

Meanwhile, the complex was badly damaged. A fire broke out at the hospital located in the compound, while the blast completely blew out windows and doors of homes and offices on the grounds. The bombings also wrecked an armored vehicle used by the army and totaled three civilian cars, AP reported.