- Strong quake hits Japan, triggering tsunami
- Sniper heaven: Pentagon’s self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub
- Medicaid enrollment continues to soar under Obamacare, administration says
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: ‘We cannot afford to wait on Congress’ for immigration
- White House urges GOP to act ‘urgently’ on $3.7 billion request for illegal immigrants
- Politicians, criminals using ‘right-to-be-forgotten’ law EU courts forced upon Google
- Combat fatigue: elite special forces troops are ‘fraying,’ Gen. Joseph Votel warns
- German foreign minister to meet Kerry to discuss spying claims
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: ‘Get yourself some firearms’
U.K. marine gets minimum 10 years for killing Taliban insurgent
Question of the Day
LONDON — A Royal Marine convicted of murdering a wounded Taliban insurgent has been sentenced to a minimum of 10 years in prison.
A military judge told Sgt. Alexander Blackman on Friday, “you have betrayed your corps and all British service personnel who have served in Afghanistan.”
Two other marines were acquitted of the September 2011 killing in Afghanistan’s southern Helmand province. They were charged after military authorities found footage of the incident on a helmet camera belonging to one of the men.
Blackman was recorded shooting the seriously wounded Afghan in the chest at close range with a pistol before quoting a phrase from Shakespeare — “Shuffle off this mortal coil.”
The three marines were tried anonymously but a judge ruled Thursday that Blackman could be identified.
TWT Video Picks
Democrats reveal an identity crisis by pretending to be what they're not
- Pentagon's self-guided bullets leave enemies nowhere to hide
- Michelle Obama to Latinos: 'We cannot afford to wait on Congress' for immigration
- Armed militia sets up Texas command center to 'fight for national sovereignty'
- Obama seeks brisk passage of border children funding bill
- Va. Democrat reportedly seeks nude shots of Kendall Jones
- Hamas orders civilians to die in Israeli airstrikes
- Bloomberg: Pro-gun towns must lack roads
- PRUDEN: 'Dirty Harry' Reids increasing eccentricity
- Bush fixed bowling lanes that Obama wants to renovate
- Florida police spokesman tells citizens: 'Get yourself some firearms'
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq
World Cup's sexiest WAGs